Injured 3-week old - UPDATE: Elizabethan Collar sizing? (Pictures)

Esteri

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Thanks for looking. Looks like it's a busy day in this forum.

My 8-year-old son noticed an injured chick in the run today and came immediately to get me. This chick was definitely not injured last night when we put them to bed. So, the injury has occurred in the last 18 hours. This is what I found:

ChxInjury3.jpg

We cleaned it up a bit with warm water: (I think my 8-year-old is a Chicken Whisperer, he held this chick and nearly put it to sleep it was so relaxed!)

ChxInjury1.jpg

ChxInjury2.jpg

The cut on the right side (most injured) appears straight. The blood spots on the left side appear to be spots that might have been caused by other chicks picking at this one. The bare skin is red, inflamed, and a little swollen. After cleaning it up a bit, I applied an antiseptic salve (Tea Tree oil based) hoping to sooth the skin, and help with any possible infection. I also have Triple Antibiotic cream - but was uncertain how the antibiotics might affect the chick. Hence this post.
big_smile.png

The chick has been separated from the others and is in the "Palace". It's on wire as I thought we should probably try to keep it as clean as possible. It is eating and drinking. Appears to be behaving normally, perhaps a bit subdued - but definitely not shocky or panicked. It doesn't appear to be very happy about being alone. Should I put a friend in with it? We have a Blue Andalusian packing peanut that is 1/2 to 1/3 it's size. (Of course, I'd have to catch the slippery little devil first.)

ChxPalace.jpg

We don't believe the main injury (which is quite straight) was caused by another chick. Our current theory is one of the local feral cats took a swipe at it through the run. Anyone have thoughts on a motion sensitive water sprinkler?? We're thinking that might work to keep it away - a least until we can get them moved into their permanent quarters (with a smaller mesh opening) next weekend. Hum - maybe I'll just wrap all the walls in tarp at night. That'd keep seeking paws out too.

Anyway - am I on the right track?? What do you think?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like you are on the right track. Anti-biotic cream is OK to use, just nothing with "caine" pain relief, like lidocaine. It's toxic to birds.
If you put a friend in with it. It might get pecked, so watch closely. You could try putting in a small stuffed toy or feather duster.
The water sprinkler might work, but for just 1 week I'd go with the tarps and vigilance.

Good luck,

Imp

Gosh Darn it! It's been scratching at it's neck, and it's a mess. Worse than yesterday. We tended it today, used antibiotic cream - with no "caine"s. I tried to fashion an Elizabethan Collar for it out of a 1 gal jug. (It's what I'd do if this were a dog.) It's back in the palace and fighting the collar.
sad.png

The collar works - it's tried to scratch it off and couldn't reach the injury. I did see it peck at some food, but "leftovers" were captured by the collar, which acted like a funnel. Yuck.

Is this too big? Can I take more off and still have it be effective?

That red stuff at the base is some vet wrap I put in there for a little cushioning and smoothing.

I need some advice please! Will this bird eventually calm down? Is this collar the right size - or too big / wide?

Thanks!

ChxInjury4.jpg

ChxInjury5.jpg

ChxInjury6.jpg

In the hospital we apply padded "mitts" to agitated people who will hurt themselves (they're confused and delerious). Iwonder if some sort of mittens on the chick's claws might be less traumatic?

But I think your collar looks like a good thing. That cut looks bad. I hope your darling chick pulls through ok!

Yeah - I thought about wrapping it's feet to stop the scratching. But figured I wouldn't be able to come up with anything that couldn't be pecked off. After all, it's got nothing else to do.

Hum, what if I made some fabric "pockets" and tied them to the legs?

Sheez. I don't know if that'd be any better.

Thanks for the wishes. Not certain I'd call it a "darling", this bird is destined for the table, so we're careful not to get overly attached. (Absolutely NO naming the birds!) Though my 8-year-old is philosophically mournful when when he helps. "This is bad. It might die." and the like.
hmm.png

lol.png
Well, I've not had chickens before, but I've had dogs for 25 years. My whelping box doubles as a very nice brooder. And the "palace" is an old dog crate. I've just sort of fallen into treating them like I'd treat a puppy. On the theory that all infants need the same basic stuff.
lol.png

You've not seen anything like that collar before? Huh. Hope it works then. I'm worried it might interfere with eating / drinking. Maybe I will cut it back a bit more then. What would YOU use?

Thanks for the link to the pictures. This chick is too big for a single band-aid to cover all the toes, but one on each toe might work. I'll hold it in reserve if the collar doesn't work.

Unless you've got another idea? I'm searching here.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am one very fortunate chicken owner. I have never had to deal with really sick or hurt chickens. So I'm only good for regurgitating info I've read here.

That collar is very ingenius. I think I'll copy the pix and info. It might come in handy.
Boots-Some people cut out a cardboard sole and cover the cardboard and toes with tape. Duct tape has been mentioned, but there was a post recently that a chicken pulled a piece of string out of duct tape and wrapped it around its tongue. I think I'd use first aid tape, just not the cloth kind.

Chickens heal from some pretty nasty things. I still get amazed.

Imp

Thanks. I think we'll give the collar a go over night and see what happens. I've cut it back so there's hardly any flare. The chick still can't scratch it's neck, but seems to have an easier time eating and drinking. I've seen it do both, so it's not going to starve overnight.

My 8-yo did point out one thing - it can't preen it's feathers. Any idea how long they can go without doing that?

It's still one seriously ticked off bird though. I'm more concerned about the stress right now. Though eating and drinking are good signs, I think.

Last edited:
feather preening is not essential. it does 2 things for the bird, it opens new feathers which will itch without attention, and it waterproofs them. since he wont be getting rained on i wouldnt worry about it unless he needs that collar long enough to have large unopened feathers. i open the head feathers on my umbrella cockatoo so you should be able to do the same if he reaches that point.

Back
Top Bottom