injured 3 wk old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mike n deb, Feb 17, 2013.

1. mike n deb

mike n deb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    we have two incubated chics we resently put into a seperate section of our chicken coop but this morning I left the door ajar and one of them got in with the older hens and was mauled quite badly by the time I noticed it. He has numerous raw spots and peck marks he is able to stand and walk on his own but apears weak
    We brought it inside and are keeping him warm his incubator buddy is close by but we are keeping them apart because he pecks at the others wounds. Any sugestions as to what antibiotics or how to make sure he takes fluids

2. Welsummer Champ

Welsummer Champ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    The chick is just worn down by his new surroundings. You can buy products to cover his wounds so she can go back with her buddy
    [​IMG]

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    You could try putting daubs of Super-Glue on wounds if any are so big you think they need to be closed, & you don't think the other chick would grab hold of the glue & pull.
    It's good if you can figure something to help mask the red color, I've heard. Using a red heat lamp bulb can be helpful in making wounds stand out less.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by