injured 4 day old chick..

smom1976

too many projects too little time!
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Pensacola, FL
any suggestions on nursing a 4 day old chick .. the kids injured it.. not sure exactly what is going on.. but it wasnt doing good at all laying on its side rolling around.. then got back to its feet holding its head up doing much better then today it seems to be not as well laying down mostly.. I have been dropper feeding it.. with sweet water mixed with vitamins and starter mix. and it really likes to be cuddled... it cherps weakly when I am holding it.. then seems to cry when I put it down. But when I feed it .. it seems to have to move its neck around and open its beak to get it down.. any info would be great help ..

TIA

oh yes and just to ward off anyone giving me advice about the kids.. they are already banned from playing with them untill they are older..

it may have gotten chilled (it is probably omfy warm in your hand) and this would intrfere with its ability to hydrate and process nutrients.
Do not give any more 'sweet" (sugar) water... a bit at first to get it going is ok but if you over do it it can actually cause dehydration and you do not want that...Make sure the water you are giving is lukewarm...
Offer it some live culture yogurt... that will often help and if you suspect dehydration then put electrolytes in its water for a couple days

Back
Top Bottom