Injured 7 week old chicks

nhchicky

Hatching
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Hello everyone-
We have had backyard chickens for a few years and after loosing some chickens this year we decided to add 3 new babes to our small group. We have just recently moved them outside and our dog (black lab) who is good with our older chickens is VERY interested in the babes. She really likes chasing them. So we keep her away from them. Well my son went out to get the eggs this morning and apparently didn't latch the coop. The little ones were out in the yard and the dog was let out. It took us a while to realize that she was "playing" with them. They are all cold and wet (ground was really wet) and shivering. One looks fine (I think she hid) but the other two seem bad off. My son is devastated and crying. There are no injuries that I can see (no blood etc) but the are laying there shaking. I put them in our basement in a box with the heat lamp on and food and water. Is there anything more I can do? My son will be so heart broken if they die..... Thanks for any advice you can offer...
Alyssa

sounds to me like they might be in shock. Are they drinking? You might want to add some vitamin to thier water. Keep them warm, and quiet. They should bounce back. And tell your son....its ok, these things happen.

Make some hard boiled eggs and offer it to them. I also would add some electrolytes or vitamins and grit to the hard boiled eggs. Either that or try some yogurt. Just try to get them to do something. Drinking is most important though.

I have to agree. Mashed egg yolk is probably the best thing, combined with water with vitamins. We had a 7 week old attacked by a stray cat..he broke his leg, but thankfully wasn't eaten. He hopped around on one leg for a month, not to mention the state of shock. We kept him isolated in his own little house and fed him yolk once a day in addition to his starter crumbles. You'd never know to see him now that he was ever injured.

Back
Top Bottom