Injured 8 week old hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by really4me, Apr 7, 2017.

1. really4me

really4me Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    I knew better but I did it anyway. My yard is flooded and I have no where for my older hens to go outside so I sold all but one Australorp, she's 1. I put her in with 3 8 week old hens. This is where I should have resisted the urge to be lazy. She really paid little attention to them unless they got in her way of food and then she gave them just a little reminder she's the biggest. This is the 4th day I left them alone all night. There were black feathers all over this morning when I went in and the little ones are blondes. I found one laying on her side when I investigated. She let me pick her up and check her over. I didn't find any bloody areas or missing feathers and she ate a little but then over and laid down again. I've moved out the Australorp until they are her size but is there anything I can do to save the younger hen?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yea-----that is tough on you I am sure. I have explained it like putting little boys being pit in a high school foot ball team----them little Boys are going to get hurt bad or worse. If you see nothing wrong---the "Chick"(Not hen) is probably hurt inside. Give it some time---maybe it will heal. Glad you removed the hen.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by