injured adolescent duck mating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by salsan20, Jan 11, 2015.

1. salsan20

salsan20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    My friends runner duck is now three months but was always the runt. Under the impression she was a drake (my fault as when they were little her peep didn't change for ages and my other girls had developed there quacks by that point so told her I thought boy unless voice changed which it didn't before she left me) and with her solo drake for company. Well solo drake is an Aylesbury cross and was delighted for company as he had had to be separated from the other ducks as they were picking on him. All had been great for about a month until yesterday where drake obviously tried to mount her and has pulled feathers off ducks head and duck is uncomfortable walking last night walking on her hocks and still uncomfortable this morning. Obviously they are separated but is this just likely to be sprain? Vets here charge a bomb on the weekend so hoping to go tomorrow rather than today!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Okay, good you separated them.

I would let her swim for at least half an hour in a tub of lukewarm water. Watch how her legs move, her tail, her neck, all that.

Sometimes such injuries are minor, sometimes more serious (internal injury, spinal injury, broken bones).

Now, I must ask - is she definitely quacking? Because sometimes a bigger drake will mount a smaller male.

3. salsan20

May 4, 2014
    She is no longer mine, I gave her to the friend as an older duckling thinking she was a drake to keep her drake company. At that point no quacking (obviously I explained introductions etc and actually duckling was definitely boss with older drake following her everywhere. Things have been manic so apart from the odd text and photo I hadn't really seen them to here until yesterday when I got the panicked phonecall otherwise I would have heard the quack and known she was a duck.

Head had definitely lost feathers so instantly figured drake had mounted and the moment I played a duck sound on the tablet she clearly quacked away, no mistaking that honk of a female runner!!
    From the videos she has sent me duck is definitely favouring one leg and walking on the hocks, have talked her through feeling for slipped tendon and friend is adamant the tendons are in place, can't feel any gritty bits or breaks,and legs are cold. Also duck doesn't appear to feel uncomfortable during handling in any place (she has always loved a cuddle so being picked up doesn't stress her out),but her gait is hunched over and definitely favouring one leg slightly though walking on hocks of both. Size size she is a small adult as she hatched as a runt so the size of a large Aylesbury on her would hurt I imagine. She is eating and drinking and moving about so I think sprain sounds likely?

Tail moves fine as does neck, body movement has improved from this morning as she is less hunched over though still walking on the hocks and favouring the right leg slightly. Have told her to increase niacin and vitamins for a while.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Her life may be at risk.

5. salsan20

May 4, 2014
    Do you think internal injury?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by