Injured Americana

Tracy9360

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2019
I have a small flock and one of my Americanas now has a limp. She is still eating and drinking, but the limp is obvious. Upon exam she has a swollen knee joint on her right leg compared to the other leg. Unsure if there was an injury. Any suggestions on how I could treat this?

I have a small flock and one of my Americanas now has a limp. She is still eating and drinking, but the limp is obvious. Upon exam she has a swollen knee joint on her right leg compared to the other leg. Unsure if there was an injury. Any suggestions on how I could treat this?
Hi @Tracy9360 :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your girl.
Can you provide some photo of her leg? Try to include one of her standing if possible so we can compare it to the other leg.

How old is she?
How long have you had her?

Hopefully with photos/more information, we can give you some suggestions:)

83E9D09C-24F2-4C22-BE8E-2293F1D13164.jpeg
66460878-6DF1-4BCD-A407-9BFE874BF4B9.jpeg
H]

Are you sure it's not the bottom of her foot? Do you know that's definitely NOT bumblefoot? As also, I'm concerned about the shavings you are using... is that Cedar? Cedar can cause respiratory illness in chickens, they smell wonderful, but is very bad for chickens!

Did not know that about cedar, will be cleaning that out and replacing it. Thank you!
It truly is her knee, we just got her this spring and that joint is larger than the other leg. I’m trying to upload a video of her walking but having difficulties (likely user error).

It truly is her knee, we just got her this spring and that joint is larger than the other leg. I’m trying to upload a video of her walking but having difficulties (likely user error).
How long have you had her?
How long has she been limping?
Is the joint bubbly, red, oozing, is the swelling soft/hard?

It's not user error on the video, the BYC thing does not work. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

upload_2019-6-26_19-54-14.png

Might be an old injury, I’m a nurse, not a vet, if it were my hen, I’d get it checked out, although when I took my hen to the vet, I already diagnosed her and he didn’t offer anything different..., the kids had peace of mind but my checkbook was lighter!!!

Back
Top Bottom