Injured and stressed

mclevinson

Songster
Sep 20, 2010
Gilbert AZ
Been moving coop panels and had a little accident. There was a 4" gap between coop and pen and for some reason Misty decided to stuff her full grown Americauna body into that little spot. She'll be a year old this Fall.
I think the heat is getting to her, and I'm pretty sure she must have strained her leg getting out.
She's not walking well and cannot perch. She's laying in water, in a clay saucer.

it"s 104 degrees right now, was 110, will go down to 85 tonight (near morning).

Should I leave her there tonight? I have a cage I could put her in, 1/2" wire floor, but it wouldn't be as cool as the saucer until later.

well if she is injured and not walking good on her own I would bring her inside to cool off, but most important so you can be sure she is eating and drinking. inability to get to her feed or water out there could kill her in that heat. Hope she heals fast,

Ema

I agree with ema, get her in the house in a confined area and get her cooled off, give her EZE access to fod&water and give her some electrolytes, protiens to help jumpstart her system from the stress of not only the injury, the heat as well. Hope she heals fast.

Quote:
Thank you. She was soaked so I put her in the isolation cage. It's cool enough now, only about 100, and she is neither panting nor clucking in distress. She has food and water and tomorrow at the crack of nothin' I'll feed her some mealworms and scrampled eggs. If she doesn't eat I'll figure she's waaaay worse off than I thought.

Yea!

Misty is fine today! She was huddled in the corner of the isolation pen, but rallied for mealworms. Walking carefully, but walking. I put her back with the other hens and she's just fine.

I'm glad she is better.
smile.png

Quote:
hugs.gif

Thanks. I'm such a wuss. A dead chicken bothers me less than an injured one.

Your welcome. I love happy endings.
big_smile.png

Both bother me ..... In an emergency situation, I'll be the one running around saying OMG, OMG over and over and getting absolutely nothing done.

Back
Top Bottom