Injured/attacked Chicken... one week later still not eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NUGE, Apr 2, 2017.

1. NUGE

NUGE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    We had a Silkie get attacked by a dog. When I found her I thought she was dead for sure. I picked her up and she barely moved. I immediately cleaned her up and put blue lotion on her injuries. He neck is open in the back and showing the muscle the whole length of it. Her butt has a gaping gash and all of her feathers from midway to her butt were pulled off, including chunk of her tail with skin still attached. I put her in a box under our microwave light and got her warmed up. She now is on a dog crate in the kitchen. There is no sign of infection and wounds are healing up. All that being said, she really doesn't move around much still. She won't eat or drink on her own so I started tube feeding after 2 days. It's now one week and she really won't eat or drink still. She's a little more active (might take a step or two when I take her outside for some sunlight time, but for the most part she stands there motionless) . She has pooped. It started black and Is getting pretty normal. My question is anyine with experience of a hen shutting down, and how long for the healing process, not just for the visible skin, but internal issues that may have happened. How long should I keep up the tube feedings? What Should I expect as far as recovery time/milestones?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How long ago was the attack?
    Any photos?

It can take time to recover from severe injury and shock. Silkies are a bit "tender" and can be more prone to suffering head/neurological damage from an attack and will require extra attention. If she is not able to eat/drink well on her own, then you probably need to continue tube feeding her at least once a day.

Offer some poultry vitamins and extra protein like egg or tuna.

3. NUGE

NUGE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Hopefully she doesn't have a severe head injury! Pictures are hard with the blue kote on them. But this is what I have ... [​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. NUGE

NUGE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

5. MelindaU

MelindaU Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    What is blue lotion? One of my 6 week old pullets got pecked in the head by one of my adult hens today and she has a pretty good sized wound that she keeps scratching at. What is a good way to keep her from scratching at it?

6. NUGE

NUGE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

It's sold at tractor supply or most local feed stores. It's an anteseptic and the blue color I think stops others from pecking the wound (which they will do if they see it). I've had great luck with it, although it stains pretty bad.

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Wounds usually heal fairly well, barring infection. Is she eating/drinking on her own?

8. MelindaU

MelindaU Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    Thank you NUDGE, I will look for it.
    WYORP ROCK, she is eating and drinking fine on her own and I have her isolated, but I think she's board and misses her sisters.

9. NUGE

NUGE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Wyorp Rock, it has now been 9 days since she was attacked. I plan to continue feeding her, as long as she's not eating. My question is more when do I decide she's only getting marginally better and the more humane thing to do Would be to cull her.

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad to hear that she can eat/drink on her own. Is there a way that you can take her or place her outside near the flock for a few hours a day or even bring one of her flockmates in to visit?

A wire dog kennel works well outside. I've found that the other chickens will come and stay near one that I have caged. Chickens do like company, so if that's possible it's something to consider.

There's no right answer as when to cull. Injuries can take quite a while to recover from. See if she will perk up by having a buddy or being placed by a window, etc. Only you can decide when it's time to let her go. If she is not improving or responding soon, then her time may have come.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by