1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

injured baby chick :o(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stasichick, Sep 4, 2014.

1. stasichick

stasichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2014
    Long Island
    Hello! I posted this originally in the thread from my intro but figured it might do better over here / possibly get more views and help.

SO got my babies yesterday!!!! 3 of them are perfect happy, healthy, little love fluffs! (henrietta, buffy, and mo) my little speckled sussex (esmeralda) was injured and im afraid she may not make it....

when i opened the box and took them all out her head was stuck under the heating pad... she was lolling her head around like drunk (her little neck muscles werent working) i was afraid she broke her neck but she was moving her feet around.... no chirping tho... she was just laying on the floor occasionally flopping around... noticed she also had pasty butt so i took care of it right away... after that was figured out i went back to helping my little ese. her little legs were twitching and her body was shaking...she couldnt keep her head up so i wrapped her up in a hand towel to keep her warm and to support her head to give her neck a chance to rest.. I have been dripping honey water into her beak frequently (about every half hour or whenever i can) which she happily drinks up. late last night she started doing better... chirping and occasionally opening her eyes... but I noticed her neck was very swollen and bruised. It was time for bed so I swaddled her up good so she stayed warm... (and in hopes that the she would stop moving around so much but she squirms when she wants to) This morning she is doing a bit better.... much more chirpy and her eyes were open when i went in to check on them... she is still injured, the swelling went way down but her neck is still bady bruised...and still cant support her head. her little body is very limp but i can tell shes really trying. just exhausted from fighting for her little life.

i have to quarantine her from the other birds because Mo is a jerk and will peck at her.. i put her in the box they came in inside my brooder box (there is plenty of room) She has a heat lamp over her... i have a brinsea eco-glow for my healthy three... but they seem more interested in Eses heat lamp... any suggestions on this? i checked and both under heat lamp and under the eco-glow is 95...

any suggestions on how to help little Esmeralda? or about the heat lamp vs eco glow?

Thanks all!!!

*** additional question: i was told honeywater is the best to give my sick chick... does anyone have any suggestions on something better to use? a better way for her to get more nutrition (she can support her head to eat regular food)

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  3. stasichick

Sep 3, 2014
    Long Island
    Thank you so much for the feedback!!! I just got off the phone with a vet tech who works at mypetchicken.com she said she doesnt think it could be wry neck or other diseases based off of the fact that her little head was stuck for so long. her suggestion was to keep my little girl wrapped up so she cant move too much and hurt herself more. She said to keep up with hand feeding her the honeywater... hopefully she will continue to improve. ill let you know what happens!

4. stasichick

Sep 3, 2014
    Long Island
    my little ese didnt make it.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I'm very sorry to hear about ese :hugs. Sometimes things just are not meant to be and with all the best will in the world everything doesn't survive. I'm afraid it's all part of hatching and rearing young chicks. Wishing you the very best with your remaining chicks and chicken keeping in the future. Good luck.

6. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Hi there,

Hoping all is getting better with your chick...just an 'fyi', I would still repost this in the Forum under raising chickens in the emergency/injury section...you can post pics and probably get a heck of a lot more people to add their two 'sense' and that way you can at least keep the learning curve going...
    Wishing you both the best for a speedy recovery.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  7. stasichick

Sep 3, 2014
    Long Island
    Thank you so much for your kind words and advice. Unfortunately even though she seemed better in the am, she passed away last night. Broke my heart that my little baby didnt make it. Although I am extremely upset, everyone keeps telling me its the circle of life. I love my pets as theyre my babies and the hardest part was knowing she was so young and trying so hard.
    Burried her next to our bearded dragon who died earlier this year of old age.. he was 12! Anyway, the other three are happy and healthy and thats whats important. Going to put together our modified coop this weekend so its ready for the girls when they are. Thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by