Injured baby chick reintegration

bunnythechicken

Hatching
May 24, 2019
So I’m new to chickens but have done research as i go along and help my parents (17) raise the chicks. One chick, a female silkie named bunny, got a notable eye infection, and was getting pecked at by other chicks. So i took her out and made a nice setup with a space heater, food, water, and a small stuffed animal to comfort her(which she nonetheless imprinted on me anyway. See: staying up every night petting her till she falls asleep). Her food and water had antibiotics in them, and i cleaned out the eye gently every time i noticed discharge, and she no longer produces goop from her eye after almost a week. Problem is her eye still seems to be a bit swollen? it’s better than before, and she acts like a normal chick. I’m wondering when i should introduce her back to the rest? Should i slowly integrate her or does it matter if they're just babies? I’d monitor her of course, but i’m really just unsure and could use a nice quiet room and a good nights sleep.

Last edited:
image.jpg
Edit: here is bunny’s eye.

I’m no expert, I’m pretty new to raising chicks (this is my first time doing it in my own) but I would suggest putting her with the others, and superviseing for an hour or so.

I picked out a chick that had been pecked to the point of bleeding. I was worried putting her in with the others, but I cleaned as much of the blood off as I could and put her in. I kept an eye on them and she did fine. The others pecked her a few times, then lost interest.

I’m no expert, I’m pretty new to raising chicks (this is my first time doing it in my own) but I would suggest putting her with the others, and superviseing for an hour or so.

I picked out a chick that had been pecked to the point of bleeding. I was worried putting her in with the others, but I cleaned as much of the blood off as I could and put her in. I kept an eye on them and she did fine. The others pecked her a few times, then lost interest.

Thank you so much, i just needed a second opinion on putting her back. we’re gonna be moving the chicks to a bigger enclosure tomorrow and slip her in with them hoping they wont notice.

Back
Top Bottom