1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

injured baby chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gwenevere9, May 11, 2009.

1. gwenevere9

gwenevere9 New Egg

May 11, 2009
    Hi All, I just got given a day old chick that has possibly been stepped on by a sheep. It was very still but its been about two hours since i got it and it is perked up a bit but cant stand eventhough its little feet keep scrabbling to get it up. It keeps arching its neck way back but doesnt appear to have any visible injury. i have dripped a tiny bit of water on its beak but othert than that have just kept it warm in a shoebox. It is cheeping a bit, quite loudly. I know little animals like this dont often make it but i wondered if there is anything i can do to at least make it comfortable? Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

2. chicken-keeper

chicken-keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    UK
    erm..... if its a day old it will need heat...... put it in a cardboard box with wood shavings, with a heat lamp at one end..... have you got any chick mash i think its called...... and try putting some water out in a very shallow bowl, so it dosent drown itself whilst drinking.......... [​IMG]

3. gwenevere9

gwenevere9 New Egg

May 11, 2009
    Wow, you guys are fast! Thnks for responding, I have it on a warm wheat pack wrapped in a jumper. It would definietly drown if i put bowl near it, it has no balance and keeps rolling onto its back so ive kinda got it snuggled in the jumper as support. I dont have chick mash but thought maybe i could mush up some all-bran if it was able to eat. It sort pants with its beak open then clossed sometimes but i am scared to disturb it too much, maybe it would be kinder for me to put it down, i dont know...

4. chicken-keeper

chicken-keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    UK
    well new chicks can survive 3 days without food once they break out of the egg i think/...................

so if this was the case id leave it over night with the lamp on and see if they make it ..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by