Injured baby rabbit.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LikeTurkeys, May 4, 2019.

1. LikeTurkeys

LikeTurkeys Songster

Jul 25, 2018
    It's spring. The cats are out hunting and inevitably they'll bring in some baby animals that I don't have the heart to let them eat.

Mostly I just put them in a bucket, maybe give them some water, piece of lettuce and see if they recover (I've only ever had success with the squirrels). This time, they brought in a baby rabbit and I want to see if I can bring him back to health.

Now, in the state he's in, that's probably highly unlikely. If you guys think he's not going to make it... (I think he probably won't but I want to try), say so and I'll understand.

The reason I'm posting here is because you're all such great experts at healing chickens, maybe you can help save a bunny too.

IMG_1766.JPG IMG_1768.JPG
    As you can see, he has an injury on his head and under is arm. It looks pretty hopeless, but maybe, just maybe... He's hopping around, so not in such a state of shock as other bunnies I've tried rescuing. He drank a small syringe of water, and the black that's on his wounds is mostly because of the Neosporin I put on them (it caused the fur to turn darker).

Thanks in advance for your input.

Edit: I put him under a heat lamp that I use for chicks.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Give it time and see if it heals. You will want to feed it grass not lettuce. Tree branches such as willows are good too. Put water in a shallow dish for drinking. You could also pick up some rabbit pellets to feed it.

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  3. SoFluffy!

SoFluffy! In the Brooder

Nov 15, 2017
    Unfortunately, cat bites can be quite deadly, even if the injuries are not catastrophic. The bacteria that the cat passes through to the other animal even through a small scrape can prove fatal long term. Usually for cat bites I give an IM or oral antibiotic appropriate to the species as a matter of course. They can seem fine for a few days and then pass from infection suddenly. If you can, get some antibiotics from a vet or ask the advice of a wildlife rehabilitation center as to what protocol to use. Bunnies can be very sensitive to medication- I’ve found that most things safe for kittens are okay for adult rabbits, but not sure for such a young one.

Good luck, and thank you for trying to save it!

4. LikeTurkeys

LikeTurkeys Songster

Jul 25, 2018
    I added some grass. Unfortunately we don't have any willows around here. I'll put a dish of water in there.

I know. :( I've tried saving them before, it's never worked but mostly because I didn't really try to heal it. I think I have some cat oral antibiotic somewhere...

5. happyhens1972

happyhens1972 Songster

Jul 24, 2013
    Worcester, UK
    If you give any antibiotics, you need to replace his gut flora as the antibiotics kill off the good as well as the bad, Do you have probiotics available?

6. LikeTurkeys

LikeTurkeys Songster

Jul 25, 2018
    Hi guys,
    The rabbit passed this morning. :( Thanks for your help.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sorry to hear that. :(

8. SoFluffy!

SoFluffy! In the Brooder

Nov 15, 2017
    Oh no. I’m so sorry. It is *always* worth trying. If nothing else, that little one taught you something for the next time. Thank you so much for being the kind of person who makes the effort - wish more were like you

9. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    Sorry about the bun. As stated by SoFluffy!, cat bites are quite deadly due to the bacteria in their mouths. I was mauled by a feral cat several years ago and had to spend a full week in the hospital on eight different courses of antibiotics because the wounds went septic overnight. The director for infectious disease at the hospital told me that they are the most toxic bites the hospital commonly sees next to human bites.

10. LikeTurkeys

LikeTurkeys Songster

Jul 25, 2018
    Wow,@danceswithronin, that's pretty crazy. I feel bad for you.

Thanks for the support.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: