Injured baby

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bird Brain, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Bird Brain

Bird Brain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    I posted this on the turkey board but wondered if anyone else had some insight...

I have 5 3.5 week old BBB babies. One of them was injured yesterday when my dog tried to play with it through the fence. I don't believe the dog actually bit the turkey, but I think the injury was brought about by the dog pulling out a mouthfull of wing feathers with meat still attached. I am hoping this is the case because that would mean that was bacteria that wasn't introduced into my poor baby.

The injury occurred about 36 hours ago. I think I found it right after it happened and I was on my way to work at the drug store, so my baby got to tag along. I bought some Iodine to clean it with and left food an water in his box. After about 4 hours I shot some infant bird formula down his throat, and within 10 minutes, he was eating his chick starter.

He is still eating and drinking. His water bowl was actually dry when I got home. He preens what little feathers are still attached to his pathetic wing. He stands up when I walk into the room.

I guess my question is...does anyone have advice or experience with this type of injury? He never went into shock and obviously feels well enough to take care of himself. All I have to worry about now is infection. I have him separated from his BBB friends because it is such a big bloody spot and I will contimue to clean it with Iodine. Any thing else I can do to help stave off infection?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I would NOT put ointment over the wound. I personally would not even give antibiotics. Looks like he is healing well and as soon as it scabbed over it pretty well was protected from infection. I would be more worried about him getting lonely and give him a mirror and/or a big featherduster hung that he could walk under and snuggle in the feathers if he wanted to. Birds can regenerate from serious injuries amazingly well if they don't go into shock. Sounds like he didn't. I wish you well with your bird, sounds like you caught it early and he is bouncing back well! [​IMG] For you! Good luck!

3. Bird Brain

Bird Brain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    Well so far so good. I came home and he had eaten ALL his food. Even the stuff he had knocked into the floor of his box!

I considered only for a moment putting ointment on it, but figured it wouldnt last long if he is cleaning himself, and it probably wasn't intended for a baby turkey to ingest.

If he recovers (and I'm thinking he will) I don't think he will ever have feathers there again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by