Injured baby

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nj feathers, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Nj feathers

Nj feathers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    NJ
    So i have all my birds (chickens and ducks) in a chain link pen. I have a smaller metal cage like a rabbit cage w/three pullets in it. During the day i open the chain link gate so the birds can free range. Something went into the pen DURING THE DAY and opened the smaller cage killing two of my pullets. Injuring the other one. His eyes are swollen shut and bloody.....but ALIVE. I know the best thing to do would be to put him down. But it's just not in my nature. I can't do it :( is there anything i can do to help him? I can't even tell if the eyes are still there. I feel so bad. I feel he will either die of infection or starvation.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could start by bringing it inside to where it's warm and quiet.

3. Nj feathers

Apr 25, 2012
    NJ
    Any suggestions on what to clean him up with? Can i use warm water?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes, but wait a few hours and let him recover a little first.

5. Nj feathers

Apr 25, 2012
    NJ
    It's been almost 24 hours. Thanks

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Then go ahead and see if you can get the eyes cleaned up. Also, do a thorough exam and look for and other wounds and/or bruising.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Also offer him water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by