injured baby

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aidensmomma, Oct 14, 2013.

1. aidensmomma

aidensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    This week old baby hurt this leg during hatching then it got infected. I've been putting vetericyn on it to help it heal but she "walks" on the elbow so it fills with crud and I can't tell what is scab and what's not. I put a warm cloth on it to gently remove the crud and this is what it looked like. I wrapped it with vet wrap after applying neosporin. She is now crying...and I don't know what to do.... Any advice is appreciated

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I suggest you put a graphic image warning on your thread title... Yikes. Looks like that chick has broken its knee completely open to one side. It looks like a break through the joint. I could be wrong. But, your best bet is probably to splint it in the correct position as soon as possible, or cull.

How is the leg sitting compared to the other? Is the foot on its side or is it facing downwards? From the way you're holding the chick it seems the leg has snapped at a right angle, but this may not be correct. More info might help. But a splint or cast seems like the best bet to me. Even if it heals the chick may have a semi-stiff or totally stiff leg. This site may be helpful:
    Quote: Best wishes.

3. aidensmomma

aidensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    Thank you...sorry about the graphic part...I tried to edit the post but I can't edit the title. I felt so bad for the little thing. I saw your post while I was away from home and called home to have my husband cull the poor thing. it was in such pain I couldn't put it through anymore. makes me sick to my stomach that it suffered for 5 days. Thanks again for the help. [​IMG]

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Don't apologize, please, it's no biggie. Sorry that it didn't end well; don't blame yourself. Even experts can't say definitively which animal won't make it and which will, in cases like this.

All the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by