Injured Bantam

irret13

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2018
Moreno Valley, California
Came home to find that my little Bantam Frizzle hen's back and tail had been plucked bare. Her tail and a few other spot are bleeding so I sprayed the areas with wound spray. I put her in a wire dog crate (with food and water) inside the coop. She is very upset at being confined. She did eat some food so I think she's okay. Any words of wisdom? Should I put a vest on her while her feathers are growing back? She didn't have a lot of feathers to begin with. Poor little Raggedy Ann.

Was this little gal out free-ranging? Two years ago, I had a hawk strafe a young pullet, liberating every single back feather she owned. Not a scratch on her bare back, though. I know it was a hawk because I was about five feet away when it happened.

Curiously, it took her a year and a half to grow the feathers back. I never bothered with any saddle or even any Blu-kote to disguise the bare pink flesh. But you might want to do that to discourage picking when the blood rich pin feathers emerge.

She was in the chicken run (8 x 12) which is fenced and has a roof so it had to be the other chickens. They are all about 11 weeks old but she is the smallest. I want to let them out to free range but I was waiting another few weeks. I think I will try it this weekend when I can check on them easier. I have hawks around and those huge black ravens/crows.

She escaped out of the dog crate twice so I brought her in the laundry room and put her in the big plastic tub with a screened lid I had them in when they were chicks. She seems fine. Clucking and eating. She stopped bleeding. I'm trying to figure out an apron/saddle to put on her so I can put her back outside.

I hope the hawks I have are not as bold as the one who attacked your poor girl.

Back
Top Bottom