Injured Barn Cat

AgnesGray

Free Ranging
Mar 8, 2019
Ohio, US
My Coop
My Coop
One of my barn cats (that snuggles us and comes in at night) was bit by something right on her butt. We're not sure when, but about a week ago she started not wanting us to pet her all the way down her back. She still wants to be petted around her head and shoulders. We kept her inside since and had a look and there was a patch about two inches long and an inch wide that was losing some hair. The next day all of the hair fell out and we realized that this was more than the stuff she usually gets into. It was oozing infection and very stinky. We rinsed it with hydrogen peroxide a few times and the stink has gone way down. The problem now is that she has exposed muscle tissue and I'm not sure how/if it will heal on its own.

I have a vet appointment mid-October which is the first available.

Anyone have any knowledge about how I might be able to help my cat in the meantime? She is a super sweet cat and I would really like to help her if I can. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like she has an abscess. Can you express the pus out of it? Just gently squeeze it out, it will smell terrible, btw. Use a syringe without the needle and irrigate it with saline, not hydrogen peroxide. Spray it with Vetericyn or wash it out with Dakin's Solution that you make up yourself. Leave it open so that it will drain. Spray it occasionally with the Dakin's or Vetericyn and keep her inside so that she won't get further infected.

Keep it moist and clean. She will probably help you keep it clean but you need to clean it too. Do as stated by @ChuskaMtns to clean it. Honey would also be a good wound dressing, a little shouldn't hurt her if she licks it off, but it will keep the wound moist and it is a mild antibacterial when used in wounds.

Now that you have gotten it clean, don't use peroxide on it anymore, it kills tissue and new freshly growing tissue is very delicate. It is fine to use it to clean a nasty wound, but only once so that you don't start killing the new flesh as it starts trying to grow back.

Sounds like she has an abscess. Can you express the pus out of it? Just gently squeeze it out, it will smell terrible, btw. Use a syringe without the needle and irrigate it with saline, not hydrogen peroxide. Spray it with Vetericyn or wash it out with Dakin's Solution that you make up yourself. Leave it open so that it will drain. Spray it occasionally with the Dakin's or Vetericyn and keep her inside so that she won't get further infected.
The puss is out, but there are a few inches of muscle visible. Is it ok for that to be exposed? I can get Vetricyn and will look for Dakin's Solution. Thanks!

Keep it moist and clean. She will probably help you keep it clean but you need to clean it too. Do as stated by @ChuskaMtns to clean it. Honey would also be a good wound dressing, a little shouldn't hurt her if she licks it off, but it will keep the wound moist and it is a mild antibacterial when used in wounds.

Now that you have gotten it clean, don't use peroxide on it anymore, it kills tissue and new freshly growing tissue is very delicate. It is fine to use it to clean a nasty wound, but only once so that you don't start killing the new flesh as it starts trying to grow back.
Our vet always recommends honey, too. Last time this cat jumped off the roof and got a slice on her foot, he dipped her paw in honey and wrapped her up and she was good as new in record time.

Google the recipe for Dakin's Solution. Most ingredients are things one usually has around the house. It's basically the same as Vetericyn but much more cost effective and if stores are closed, good to know how to make it.

Ok, that's good to know. Thank you!

It's right near her tail on her back hip area so really hard to wrap.
I have horses and you should see some of the wounds that are left open on them, either to let them drain or because they are in an area that can't be wrapped. As long as it stays clean and moist it'll be ok.

Back
Top Bottom