Injured beak...looking for suggestions on how to handle the healing process

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HenOnTheHill, Oct 28, 2013.

1. HenOnTheHill

HenOnTheHill Out Of The Brooder

I have a young blue-laced red wyandotte rooster (Russ) who recently injured his beak (within the last three weeks or so). I have no idea how, one day I just noticed that the top tip was broken off by 1/8 of an inch or so. It was not bleeding and he seemed to be eating fine, and no one else was pecking at him, so I just let it go and have been keeping an eye on him. He is still doing "fine" but I've noticed that more of the beak seems to be missing and he has it rubbed back to what I would assume is the quick. It is still not bleeding, but does seem like it is "scabby."

Russ and the rest of the flock are currently being fed pellets, mixed treats, and have access to free-range during the day. The floor of the coop is sand, though I have started to lay down wood chips for winter bedding. There are two other roos in the run with him, but they have been raised together and so far I have not seen any squabbling amongst them. He is definitely not the dominant roo though (that would be my barred rock, Mickey).

I've read conflicting information about beaks growing back (or not). Since I cannot identify how he injured it, I am not sure if he will regenerate his beak or not. My question is: what is the best way to promote any beak regrowth? If it does not grow back, will he be ok as is? Any advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    This is Russ...

[​IMG]
    This is Russ's beak (or lack of it)...

[​IMG]
    In this shot you can see the quick (dark red in the top center)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    wow, he is bound to be getting into something he shouldnt , hard nuts, treats. i would not let him free range for a while unless you want to follow him all day and see whats going on and yes the beak can grow and does all their life.they sharpen them down on cement or whatever is handy. as for helping think fingernails. calcium, ahh, what is the grit called for strong egg shells? maybe some rooster booster. btw, he is very good looking

3. HenOnTheHill

HenOnTheHill Out Of The Brooder

I can certainly keep him in the run. He is definitely not one of my rowdy birds, so I don't know what he is getting into! Are you referring to oyster shell for the calcium? I did start to set some out as my pullets are just starting to lay some eggs (finally!).

He is a pretty boy and I wouldn't mind using him to hatch out some wyandottes down the line with his BLR lady friend, Penny. We shall see. :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    yes, that is what i was trying to say. old age brain farts. lol that is what i would try and the vitamins for good measure too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by