Injured beak on our Barred Rock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jster, May 24, 2010.

1. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    Yesterday, I was checking on our chickens and noticed that our Barred Rock, Sweets, has an injury to her beak. I'm not sure what could have caused it. A fox came in our yard this morning and scared them, so maybe she jammed her head against the wall of the coop? It's walls are part wood, part hardware cloth. I've given her food but she can't seem to eat, she does try a bit more today than yesterday. We've been giving her some water and food by basically force feeding (holding her jaw open and dropping in food or emptying straws of water). She seems in good spirits and active. We've had a lot of losses in the last few weeks...lost three chickens to foxes and one to an accident, so are down from nine to five and are very sad about it. I'm worried about Sweets and wonder if her beak will heal and be useful again or if it could die and her not be able to eat or drink on her own? Please let me know your thoughts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    I think it will heal. My only concern would be that the inner layer seems to still be there so it might not because of that?
    That is weird about her not eating. Could it be shock?

3. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    I think it's causing her pain and that's part of why she's not eating. She tries, but she doesn't seem to be able to pick things up and doesn't seem to be able to open and close her mouth how she's used to. Yesterday (the first day it happened) she was almost stretching her nose, and I could see it bending a bit along that line, like it was creased almost. It's more yellowish today than yesterday, and I'm not sure if that's good, like a bruise healing, or bad, like its lost circulation and the tissue is dying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by