Injured Belts. Pic.

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
My poults don't go in the barn on there own but I worry about predators so every night I go out and heard them in myself. This morning when I let them out I noticed one looked dirty and unkept. I took a close look.

This is not a good pic as I am here by myself and its hard to lift her wing and take a pic at the same time plus I am trying to be gentle as not to hurt her any worse. I have no idea what could have happened.

What should I do for her?
27498_random.jpg

Is it on her side? or on the breast?

If on the side it could be a mating cut, Sometimes the tom will slip off the wing while mating and cut the hens. That usually looks like a cut though when it's fresh. The hen will try to preen it or the others pick at it and open it up more. plus they are usually deeper cuts

The way the feathers are missing it could also be a roosting sore. What are they roosting on? The more I look at it, I think that is what it is.

Poultry heal very very quickly, it doesn't look infected from the pic. Do a sniff test - I know it sounds creepy but you can smell it if it's getting infected. I would just cage her for a few days, give her some extra goodies (a couple hard boiled eggs, some fresh greens if they like them). Keep an eye on the wound for infection and healing.

Steve

Its under her wing and on her back. They have roosts in the barn but they don't use them. They sit on the straw covered floor with the chanteclers who they were brooded with and who also don't use any of the roosts(even the lower ones for the chickens". I'll take a better pic when DH gets home and I'll post it. Your right it doesn't appear to be infected. I will pen her and increase her protein for now.
Thanks

From the location it's probably a mating cut from a tom. It usually is more like a slice though? maybe it started that way and she picked at it. You can help the hens by blunting the tom's toe nails. it's the inner nail that cuts them, where the thumb would be on our hands. You can trim them with dog nail clippers, just take the sharp point off.

Steve

Well I tried to get a better pick but the batteries in my camera died. I will trim our toms claws but it seems to me that its a bit to severe for that. But maybe your right. The whole thing is not in the pic but the way I had to hold her wing up and the camera it was the best I could do. Plus I noticed today most of her tail feathers are missing and most of the feathers on her back. But I didn't see any puncture marks because I thought maybe some thing had tried to grab her. Shes in a dog crate now, with special treats to help up her protein levels and encourage healing. I jope she will be okay, it always seems this kind of thing happens to the females!

It's possible something did try to grab her, the location is in the right place for a mating cut but like I said before they are usually an actual cut. I got a scar on my stomach about 6 inches long from where a tom cut me with his nail, he couldn't done better if the turkey used a knife.
smile.png
I always tell people Sharon did it. lol

Anyway you will amazed at how fast she heals.

Steve

LOL! Thats a good story! Sharon did it! You could spin that one which ever way you wanted!

Shes still with us. I hope it doesn't get infected if it does what should I use on it?

Why are the hens always getting hurt(of all my creatures it seems like the most valuable females are the ones that get hurt)!

Well I know with the females superior intellect they should be the last to go!(okay, don't bash me for man bashing its just a joke!)

But it truly does seem the ones I'm most excited about get injured or are taken...I guess thats the price I pay for free ranging my birds. You'd think I'd be more cautious since the price for sexed Belts around here runs 75 each...but these blood lines are(I'd have to find their info to know for sure but represent lines from both the amos flock and gosh I can't remember the other line they represent, But these are true Belts.

I would think a topical antibiotic would work as long as you catch it early. Keep doing a sniff test, that's what I do for any type of animal wound. Aeromycian (sp) powder added to the water if it gets infected. I'm not a big fan of over medicating so I try to advise going light on the meds. Extra protien, rest and she should heal fast,

And since you're man bashing now
smile.png
. she probably asked for it by shaking her tail feathers to much, batting those turkey eyes..... you know how they do.
tongue.png

Steve

Now Tara wants to slash me to!

I was told once to put a saline solution in a spray bottle and spray the wound well to clean it out. Then spray with betadine (in spray bottle). I'm not sure this is correct, but other will have better answers than I.

Back
Top Bottom