Injured Bill Pictures Included

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Luvs Ducks, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Luvs Ducks

Luvs Ducks Just Hatched

Apr 19, 2016
    I believe a snapping turtle is to blame for this. I've cleaned it with soap and water and flushed it with peroxide. I've brought him in, so I can try to help. Just not really sure what all I should be doing. He doesn't appear to be eating much at all and of course that concerns me. Can I give him Pedialyte? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Linda[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NatDuB90

NatDuB90 New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    Do you have an avian vet in your area that can take a look at your poor baby?

3. Luvs Ducks

Luvs Ducks Just Hatched

Apr 19, 2016
    In Texas I'm told a vet can not treat ducks, without you giving them up. I was really hoping for another option.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Only use the peroxide 1X it can injure healthy tissue. Flush with salty warm water and put something like tripe antibiotic ointment on it. As for eating he is probably in pain so he may not want to eat for a few days. But you need to keep some kind of nutrients in him. Pedelyte is fine for electrolytes but I'd put some vitamins in his drinking water also. and try making his feed into a soup, that way he can drink it instead of eating. may help. He is one of the blessed, snappers can take off whole bills as we have seen on here and feet and chunks out of bodies. So please try your best to get rid of the snappers before some one is injured even worse.

@Luvs Ducks Welcome to BYC and please keep us updated on how he is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by