Injured bird -can I do anything for her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by briggate, Mar 27, 2011.

1. briggate

briggate In the Brooder

May 29, 2009
    Rusk Texas
    My lab/ shepard mix got out while the chickens had been free-ranging - there were only 2 that hadn't made it back in the coop. He got the first one but I was there in a second, so I thought he only ruffled a few feathers- never saw any blood, just a lot of feathers. She seemed in shock so I moved water and food near her and put her in the shade in the coop run. End of the day, she wasn't moving but was breathing and appeared 'ok' so I moved her into the coop for the night. Today, moved her out and she hobbled along for just a few feet. But she is not eating or drinking today. I think her right leg is injured, she will walk on it but limps and mostly just sits.
    Is there anything I can do for her?

2. schellie69

schellie69 Songster

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would check her for marks. Maybe try and give her some vitamins in water and maybe some yogurt with scrambled eggs. I would maybe put her in a hospital cage keep her warm and give her some TLC I am sorry not that much help.

3. briggate

briggate In the Brooder

May 29, 2009
    Rusk Texas
    I appreciate the info - I have never dealt with an injury and my other dogs respect the chickens so I never worried about them. While I was tending to chicken #1, my lab was busy tracking and killing chicken #2 so I am happy that at least bird #1 is alive - but not having any idea if she will recover enough to be anything but predator bait...how do you know if they are suffering or if they can recover enough to be 'ok' and producing?

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It will take some time, could be a sprain. She is also probably in a bit of shock still. If bitten or scraped I'd put her on an antibiotic for infection. I'd keep her isolated in a small area so she can rest with food/water near and add vitamins and favorite foods to keep her strength up.

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

chickens are pretty resilient, and sometimes it is amazing just how well they can heal from really horrific attacks. Here's what I would do if she were mine: Bring her in and keep her in a bathroom, laundry room, or extra bedroom (somewhere safe where the dog can't get to her). Put her food & water very close so she doesn't have to expend energy to get to them. Keep her warm, and if you can find any obvious injuries, clean them with a solution of povidone iodine (Betadine or store brand) diluted to look like weak tea (if you have it; if you don't have any, then saline is still better than nothing) , then put some antibiotic ointment on wounds. Keep her separated from the others so she can heal without anyone jumping on her or picking at her wounds. I hope she recovers fully. I also hope you can find a way to keep the dog from being able to get to them, or there's a very good chance you'll be dealing with this again in the future (or dealing with a bunch of dead chickens).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  6. briggate

briggate In the Brooder

May 29, 2009
    Rusk Texas
    Day two and no change for her. I took a closer look and under her right wing seems to be scuffed and she may have suffered a puncture wound - there is a bit of dried pink - I assume blood.
    Good news about the dog - he was a foster, and I adopted him out that day. He made the attack while the prospective family was there (I was distracted, hence not realizing the chickens weren't all back in the coop). Fortunately, they viewed it as a 'oh, good, he will hunt the small furry critters on our property', and they didn't have chickens, so he went home with them.
    I will try isolating her and treating the wound. So far the other chickens are curious about her, but haven't started to attack her. I don't have any roosters, thankfully.
    Thanks for the advice, everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: