1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured bird now what

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jo Anne, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Jo Anne

Jo Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Isolate the injured bird away from other chickens. Otherwise, the other birds will peck at the blood, and may even begin to cannibalize it. Clean the wound with warm, soapy water, and then apply antibiotic ointment (nothing than contains "cain/caine" ingredients, as those are harmful to birds) to the wound. If you have some, you can spray bluekote on the wound, and then the bird can go back in with the others (bluekote disguises the red color of the wound, limiting pecking). If not, keep it isolated until the wound heals.

Watch for signs of infection (pus, discoloration, bad smell, etc.). If any infection develops, either cull the bird or treat with antibiotics. But don't worry too much--chickens are great healers, even from gruesome wounds.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would wash the wound in warm water gently. Then, if you have some, spray it with BlueKote (an antiseptic spray often sold for horses, I believe). Also put on some antibiotic ointment, as long as it doesn't contain any "caine" ingredients, or pain killers. Keep her isolated from other birds, as other chickens like pecking at blood and anything red.

Keep an eye on the wound. If you notice any heat or swelling, or a bad smell, it might be infected. If so, treat her with some antibiotics like Penicillin of oxytetracycline.

Chickens have a remarkable abiility to heal themselves--she should be fine.

4. Jo Anne

Jo Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Done. Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by