Injured Bird :( Please Advise! *pic*

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MicroFarmMom, Apr 21, 2011.

1. MicroFarmMom

MicroFarmMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    I came home toady to find blood spots around the waterer and finally found the injury. One of the hens is mising a toenail and it apparently got quite bloody. I took a picture - it seems to have already stopped bleeding but I can see clearly that this is quite tender for her. Should I do anything at all - and if so - what? And any ideas on how this happened?!?!

http://grubsandloves.blogspot.com/

It's not too gory - just wanted to show it well so you can help me!

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You can put cornstarch or flour over her toe to stop the bleeding. Other than that let it heal on it's own [​IMG]

3. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    powdered Alum works good for stopping bleeding also

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    She'll heal, if the toenail is completely gone make a little boot out of a bandaid. I had one that got bit by a coon and was missing half her toe. Now we call her noe toe.[​IMG]

5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:I had a hen come up with the same injury. She was on wire so I thought that was the cause, still dont know for sure. It stopped bleeding on its own. She would start bleeding again every few days to a week later. This went on for over a month till a dab of blue kote was applied. You can get it anywhere they sell chicken stuff. No problems since. I think the others would peck it and open it back up till the blue kote. Its great for the odd scalping or bald head too. Bill

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:I had a hen come up with the same injury. She was on wire so I thought that was the cause, still dont know for sure. It stopped bleeding on its own. She would start bleeding again every few days to a week later. This went on for over a month till a dab of blue kote was applied. You can get it anywhere they sell chicken stuff. No problems since. I think the others would peck it and open it back up till the blue kote. Its great for the odd scalping or bald head too. Bill

like the blue kote, think I got some similar "wound kote" blue Lotion, spray on- for my pitbull when her skin flares up, got at TSC. right now she is a chocolate red nose with purple polka dots.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL

like the blue kote, think I got some similar "wound kote" blue Lotion, spray on- for my pitbull when her skin flares up, got at TSC. right now she is a chocolate red nose with purple polka dots.

YEP SAME STUFF... SHOULD BE IN ANY QUAIL MEDICAL KITS AND TAPED TO FRONT OF ALL PHEASANT PENS [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by