Injured bird

Jadie82

Hatching
Apr 28, 2016
My 2-year old peacock was hit by a car this morning - he allowed my husband to pick him up and we put him in a secluded portion of pen with a heat lamp, food and water ( it is cool and raining here today) - he kept knocking over a bowl of water I put in for him, so I put the water in a heavy crockpot - now he is standing IN the water bowl, and closing his eyes - he's not trying to roost on the beam, I'm not sure where he is injured, if it's his wing or internal, no sign of blood anywhere. Anyone have any ideas? There aren't any veterinarians around here who care for large birds - our neighbor is Indian, and he suggested pouring water over the peacock, he says it could soothe him. Anyone ever hear of this?

welcome-byc.gif
sorry for the circumstances. Do not pour water over him. It will only stress him further. He is probably in shock right now so confinement in a slightly darkened quiet spot is a good idea. The fact that he is mobile is a good sign. It will all depend upon whether or not he has serious internal injuries. He may be reluctant to eat for a bit, but the next several days should give an idea as to whether or not he is going to survive. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick reply - I've had him since he was a few days old, so hoping I don't lose him - wasn't sure if there was anything else I can do - guess I just have to wait and see what nature intends for him. Thanks again.

Heat lamp, food and water is all good. Standing in water is not particularly good -- sounds kinda shocky. Do you have some kind of water container (like a bird waterer) that he won't be able to stand in? Can you arrange a towel or blanket on the floor for him? Maybe in a circle kind of shape? My chicks and adults all choose to lie in basin shapes, like dugout areas in the dirt or food dishes (for the chicks) when they can. Seems like it helps support the sides of their bodies, so they really like lying down in something shaped like a bowl or a nest. (Despite the fact that peas don't build actual nests, just little dug out basins). Mine also like lying on soft things.

If he will let you handle him (maybe easier in the dark), you could try to feel his wings for injuries, same with his legs.

If there are any vets near you who work on any kinds of birds, even cage birds, you might try one. Even though they don't do big birds normally, the basic anatomy is sufficiently similar that the vet should be familiar with how bird legs, wings and internal organs are arranged, and perhaps be able to do an xray if needed, or give fluids if he starts dehydrating. Another possible help would be a wildlife rehabilitator -- they get experience with large, injured birds like raptors so might be able to give you suggestions and have a look at him, or even help with fluids or tube feeding if that becomes necessary or appropriate.

Here's hoping he pulls through okay, and is just a little shocky right now.
hugs.gif
Hang in there.

My 2-year old peacock was hit by a car this morning - he allowed my husband to pick him up and we put him in a secluded portion of pen with a heat lamp, food and water ( it is cool and raining here today) - he kept knocking over a bowl of water I put in for him, so I put the water in a heavy crockpot - now he is standing IN the water bowl, and closing his eyes - he's not trying to roost on the beam, I'm not sure where he is injured, if it's his wing or internal, no sign of blood anywhere.  Anyone have any ideas?  There aren't any veterinarians around here who care for large birds - our neighbor is Indian, and he suggested pouring water over the peacock, he says it could soothe him.  Anyone ever hear of this?

Yes bad circumstances but your here now and this forum is a huge bowl of pea knowledge,
1f44d.png
. If he's mobile he will probably pull through. You will be amazed at how fast a bird can heal, I wish you the best and please keep us posted.

Gerald Barker

It's been 24 hours, and he is still with us - I was able to get him out of the water yesterday, I just moved it to the other corner - we think maybe he just wanted to stand in that spot - he is standing, not lying down, with his body hunched, but looks at us and cocks his head when we speak to him. I'm going to try calling a wildlife rehabilitator - thanks for the suggestion - but I think it would stress him even more if I pick him up and try to take him anywhere. Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will keep you posted on his condition.

Positive update. If you have ever been in an accident, you know how he is feeling today - sore. Again hopefully there is no major internal or skeletal damage.

He's still pretty quiet, isn't eating much, just some sunflower seeds - doesn't seem to be much change. We tried carrying him outside with the other peafowl, but he stayed in the same spot all morning, still isn't trying to fly. Not sure what is going on with him, so we put him back in the secluded pen to keep any predators away. He seems more alert. though, isn't closing his eyes as often. Hopefully he just needs some time.

He's still pretty quiet, isn't eating much, just some sunflower seeds - doesn't seem to be much change. We tried carrying him outside with the other peafowl, but he stayed in the same spot all morning, still isn't trying to fly. Not sure what is going on with him, so we put him back in the secluded pen to keep any predators away. He seems more alert. though, isn't closing his eyes as often. Hopefully he just needs some time.

We will keep our fingers crossed for him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom