Injured Bird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lelandrooster, Aug 22, 2011.

1. lelandrooster

lelandrooster New Egg

Mar 5, 2011
    I have a cinnamon queen who is approximately 5 1/2 months old. Yesterday, she and her sisters were out in the backyard when a hawk flew down to have a look at them. They all scattered, but my cinnamon queen ran into a metal trash can. She did not show any sign of injury at the time. A few hours later, I went to check on them and she was lying down. When I went to round them up she would not put any weight on her right leg. I picked her up and did not see any outward signs of injury (although when she stands on both legs, her right leg seems to be at a different angle than her left).
    She is still eating, however, when I checked on her this morning she seemed to have had diarrhea throughout the night. She is still not putting any weight on her leg.

Any ideas? Should I separate her from the other birds. I've been monitoring them closely and have not seen any of the other birds messing with her (she is at the top of the pecking order). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    She may have pulled a tendon, or something. Keep her crated with food and water so she is not trying to walk around on it.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by