Injured/black neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mezzer, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Mezzer

Mezzer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2016
    What in the world could have caused this?? She's eating and drinking, and they're appears to be no fluid/pus involved, and it's rock hard. She's keeping away from the the other hens and other than being a little quiet, she's not in pain. :/ I can take better pics if these don't turn out clear. Poor little thing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Looks like dried blood.Chickens that isolate themselves from the flock may be injured or getting bullied.Do any of them bully her?As for the neck i would rinse it off with water and apply Neosprorin or Vetericyn.I would isolate her from the flock a dog kennel would work.Provide Eggs and tuna often as well as applying Neosporin/Veterciyn.

3. Mezzer

Jan 14, 2016

No, it's diff not dried blood, it's more like the tissue on her neck has died and turned nercrotic. :/ it is complete dried and has no bad smell, but it has a strange dried wood texture. She's eating and drinking normally but otherwise is staying away from the other hens (she's hiding on the roost) I put a medicated chicken spray on it and I have a separate pen I will isolate her in. I checked the other hens necks and found nothing. It almost looks like a hawk or something tried to grab her from the top of her neck. :/ have no idea when this injury occurred, but since she's a polish mix and a little flighty it was not as evident untill today when I noticed her staying on her roost.

4. Mezzer

Jan 14, 2016
    And I've never noticed her being bullied. :/

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Its really looks like a bad infection.I would apply some Neosporin to it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  6. Mezzer

Jan 14, 2016
    Yes, I've got a spray for infections that I'm using on her. She's in my hospital pen and eating and drinking as normal. Still wonder how this happened. Hawk maybe?

7. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa

8. Mezzer

Jan 14, 2016

She's happy to be in her little pen kicking up straw and hunting for bugs. It looks no worse this morning. It's almost like she received deep straight cuts on her neck, but it's hard to tell under all that scarring. :/ time will tell

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    This reminds me of something that one of my Dutch bantam chicks had a few years ago. The chick was (if I remember right) about 4 weeks old when she suddenly started developed black scabby skin really similar to what your hen is showing. She lost all of the feathers in the area.The scabbiness got worse and worse, then gradually got better. I don't remember if I applied anything to the area; if anything, I probably used neosporin. Eventually, all of the scabbiness and blackness disappeared and the feathers grew back in. However, the chick died randomly when she was about 12 weeks old, so maybe there was an underlying problem for which the neck scabbiness was a symptom.

For your hen, I would keep spraying her with your infection spray and/or applying antibiotic ointment at least once a day. Other than that, just watch for further symptoms.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mezzer

Jan 14, 2016
    Here's a few other pictures, the white part of the neck (it's hard taking pictures of a feathery wiggling hen) is the normal skin, and the black part is the dead part of her neck. She appears to not even feel it when I put medication on it and it has no give like normal skin. It hard like the wood on a tree. She's still acting pretty normal other than being a little standoffsh with the other hens. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by