Injured blue swedish

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Adrianna17, May 6, 2017.

1. Adrianna17

Adrianna17 New Egg

May 6, 2017
    Hey everyone im new here and i was wondering if anyone has any remidies on how to care for her beak i walked out to check on ny chicks/ducks and she has a giant hole in her beak and idk how to help her. Any info would be so helpful [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Adrianna17 any ideas on how it happened? first off clean it off real good you can make up a saline solution and just pour it over top? is the hole all the way through to inside her mouth?

Saline solution 1 cup of warm water 1/4 teaspoon of salt. mixed well.

Then you can use a non pain ointment like Neosporin or triple antibiotic. Or get some Veterycin spray for wounds and infections That is the main thong you want to watch for is infection.

Also put 1 Tablespoon or Apple Cider Vinegar into a gallon of water for her to clean her bill in .

3. Adrianna17

Adrianna17 New Egg

May 6, 2017
    I think my rooster attacked her because there's nothing else in the coop that could puncture her and no it's just the hard top layers but you can so her meat I guess you'd call it that

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd separate her from your roo and chickens they can really do a number on a duck with those sharp beaks. Is she your only duck? If not maybe put ducks on one side and chickens on the other.

5. Adrianna17

Adrianna17 New Egg

May 6, 2017
    Yes ma'am I have separated her and left my other 3 ducks in and I moved my rooster out of the pen also

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Okay sounds good but she may do better having her duck family with her just keep her away from the chickens especially with an open wound chickens are drawn to them.

7. Adrianna17

Adrianna17 New Egg

May 6, 2017
    Yes thank you I'm using a saline rinse so hopefully it'll work

1 person likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC!!

9. Adrianna17

Adrianna17 New Egg