Injured button quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by halfwaynowhere, Jul 31, 2010.

1. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    I'm at work, my mom called me telling me that she had been at the feed store, and there was an injured button quail. They separated it from the rest, and are holding it for me. I'll pick it up in about 2 hours when I get off from work. I don't know the full extent of the injuries, my mom said there looked like there was something wrong with one of its legs, and a sore under the wing. I'll know more when I get there.

Anyways, I don't have any experience with quail (though I've been wanting buttons for quite awhile). I know they should be kept in pairs, but seeing as this one is injured, am I right to keep it single for now? My feed store doesn't carry them often, so it might not be easy to get it a buddy later on. Should I pick up two, and keep them in separate cages until the injured one is better, then try introducing them? And how do I tell male from female? My mom said they are about 2 inches long right now, is this full grown, or at least old enough to determine their sex?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I would first care for the injured button. Can you (or your mom) describe the type of housing the buttons are in (on wire, newspaper, on bedding). Button feet are very fragile and if they slip or slide, that could hurt them.

A good indicator if it's male or is if there is any red feathering on the vent area or anywhere in that matter.

Let me know how it goes!

3. halfwaynowhere

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    Well, apparently by the time I got there, he was doing "better" so they figured he'd be fine and wouldn't just give him to me, so I bought him and took him home. They were kept on wire (yikes!) and one of his legs looks completely lame. He's got a large scab on him, about the size of a quarter. He flapped around when we tried to get him out of the cage, and broke open the scab, and he bled a lot, and I had them get some styptic powder to stop the bleeding.

Now he's home, in a plastic small animal carrier with paper towels on the bottom. I'm going to be setting up a more permanent cage for him once he's doing better. Ie b'm pretty sure the leg is permanently damaged, but hopefully the wound heals.

Are button quail okay kept alone? I know they shouldn't be kept in groups, but can they be kept alone? I'd like to get a few pairs eventually, but don't mind keeping this guy alone if its okay for him.

4. halfwaynowhere

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    Here are some pics, none of the injured area because I didn't want to mess with him/her.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

actually, you can sort of see the scabby area on its back in the second picture.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It's a Red Breasted Hen [​IMG]

I would suggest getting her a mate once she heals. Button quail are happy when they are in pairs.

Do remember they are monogamous so if you do decide to get a couple pairs, each pair would have to be housed separately.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Did they make you pay even after the scab broke open? I think I'd find a new feed store... sheesh.

What a lovely thing you are doing, and congrats on your new girl. Hope she recovers quickly and well. [​IMG]

7. halfwaynowhere

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    well, i'm not sure the owner knew the scab had broken open. I was mostly dealing with another employee. that employee would have given her to me for free, because they all know me and my mom, but she asked the owner first. I've never had any problems with this feed store, they've always been more than generous in the past. I think the owner thought this quail was gonna be okay, and she'd be able to sell it later. I think their prices are a bit high, $8.99 per button quail (I did get a discounted price, though, but I was shocked when I learned their full price!). They don't normally carry these, and I think maybe they paid too much for them, so she didn't want to take a loss on this one. We don't exactly live in the most agricultural area, so I'm surprised they even get enough business. I have another feed store about the same distance from me in another direction, but haven't been there in years because they aren't nearly as nice.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Okay, that makes sense. It just sounded to me like they found out you wanted it so they decided to go ahead and charge you for it. But feed store owners need to make their ends meet, and if it's a good store and you have a good relationship, I'm sure it will all be more than made up for in the good relationship. [​IMG] Congrats on your new baby!

9. Jeremiah.Chua

Jeremiah.Chua Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    $9 regular price isn't so bad actually. They go for $15-20 each in the Bay Area (CA). I found a store that sold them for $10 each, which was amazingly cheap in my opinion. So $9 + discount is pretty darn good.
    Kind of odd for them to charge you for an injured bird, but it doesn't look too beaten up. Although if I were in your position, if I had to pay for the bird, I'd rather pick up an uninjured one. You're too nice [​IMG]

Good luck with her, definitely looks like a hen. Give her two weeks or so and her back feathers and injuries should be healed up. At that time, I'd get her a male buddy (if you want fertilized eggs) or more hens.

10. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    She is beautiful, I've never seen a quail with her coloring before. I hope she makes a good recovery for you. Kudos to you for rescuing her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by