Injured Canadian Gosling

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
Yesterday I went out for a ride across the creek like I have been to get Sneaks back in shape.
As I was crossing the creek I noticed a gosling that looked like it had a broken leg struggling up the trail.
So I looked up and down the creek bottoms looking for the 2 pairs of geese and the 15 other goslings, couldn't find them anywhere.
I rode sneaks up closer to it, and then preceded to ride around looking for the goslings.
I figured it was abandoned so I went back home and asked my dad. He said that I could get a bucket and try to catch it and put it in the barn today.

Today I went on my ride again, the gosling was worse and still no other goslings or geese.
I galloped back got my older sister, we crossed the creek, she held Sneaks while I looked for it.

She saw it hopping through the alfalfa, I walked up to it, and it was shaking and really cold, I'm guessing shock, so I put it in the bucket and we walked home.

Right now he's in the barn with food and water, we are going to leave him there cause he is still in shock.

I'm hoping to nurse him back to health with little human interaction, if he gets better I will let him go back to the creek, and hopefully he will be able to migrate this fall.
If not I may have a pet goose..

There are no rescues, and no vets willing to handle poultry.
I'm sorry about that... In my city we have a lady who takes in all sorts of birds and cares for them, it seems to be her passion. Do you know anyone who's had to deal with broken legs with their birds? I'd suggest googling around to maybe make a splint for it. You will also probably want to limit his movement.

My grandpa is coming out today and he's been ranching his whole life so I will see if he can help me today

I'd say you'll definitely need some type of splint and immobilize it with food and water and very important to see that it stays warm. Aside from that I'd google to see if there is anything at all you can give it for pain. Believe it or not that will definitely help this poor goose out of the state of shock it's in probably in part due to the trauma it sustained and in part due to the pain its gotta be in. Good luck with the poor goose.

I'd say you'll definitely need some type of splint and immobilize it with food and water and very important to see that it stays warm. Aside from that I'd google to see if there is anything at all you can give it for pain. Believe it or not that will definitely help this poor goose out of the state of shock it's in probably in part due to the trauma it sustained and in part due to the pain its gotta be in. Good luck with the poor goose.

Would a small dose of cow or horse benedrill work?

Back
Top Bottom