Injured chick advice needed please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shabana, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey :)

I keep 4 flocks of chickens and have just raised chicks for the first time.
    There is a retired chap who keeps chickens not far from me and he has also raised some maran chicks.
    When putting my girls and boys to bed tonight I heard the most awful screaming coming from the other end if the field so I ran towards it and found one if his chicks laying outside its pen.
    It couldn't stand and there was some blood on my hands. I'm not sure if it was a rat maybe ?

I have the chick in a cat box in my spare room at home as the owner is pretty umm 'old school' and would kill it but was ok with me having a try.
    I have given it some nutri drops and then let it be for the night. It is warm quiet and dark in the room and I thought that tomorrow if it's still with us I might try to get it on the road to recovery.
    I'm in the uk so we can't get antibiotics without a prescription and then it's only water soluble tylan.
    It's about 9/10 weeks old.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks x

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Is there a visible wound? If so, I'd put some antibiotic ointment on. Make sure that the ointment doesn't contain any ingredients ending in "cain" or "caine", or any painkillers. Keep the chick warm and comfortable, and let it rest. Keep the wound clean, and put antibiotic ointment on every day or so.

As long as there are no signs of infection (swelling, heat, etc), I don't think you need antibiotics. Just keep a close eye on it for any signs of problems.

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd inspect its body carefully for signs of injury. Something definitely attacked it; it could have been a rat or another chick. When/if you find an injury, wash it with warm soapy water. Then put some antibiotic ointment on the wound (nothing that contains caine/cain ingredients, as those are harmful to birds) and let the chick be. Chickens are very good at healing from wounds, and as long as the wound isn't too severe, the chick should be fine.

If possible, keep the chick isolated from any other birds until the wound heals. Make sure it eats and drinks; nutri drops are good for boosting its strength. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. Shabana

Thanks so much for the replies.
    I've cleaned it up this morning and there is a puncture wound in the top of the leg Muscle and the right knee joint has a laceration and is swollen. The chick is standing on one leg but I don't think it's broken, as it moves the same as the good leg no crunchyness (eew) and the same sideways play in the joint.
    I have force fed it some moistened growers pellets and some cat food twice so far today. I'm unsure how much to give and how often with both food and water.
    I have put Tylan in the water just in case there is any sneaky infection and she/he is separated and in my spare bedroom at the moment.

Can you please advise me how much food and water to give ?
    Thanks so much xx

5. Shabana

I have also made a fatal mistake in accidentally naming him or her "pudding" because I kept saying what a brave little pudding it was and it's stuck !

Oh dear this is not good because I'm already attached :)
    :confused:

6. lauras silkies

lauras silkies New Egg

Oct 3, 2013
    Luke warm water with a few granules of sugar in will help with an energy boost. Check in as often as possible bathing the wounds. It might sound harsh but if the area where the wound is, is getting messy it might be an idea to pluck some of the feathers around the area to help prevent infection. Ensure all poo is removed and any messy bedding. The muscle wound should heel fine however the one to the knee joint may cause future problems but nothing life changing if not broken. Hope this helps. I'm in uk also

1 person likes this.
  7. Shabana

Thank you !
    I've cleaned the wounds and popped antiseptic ointment on them and kept it clean and dry. I'll pop some sugar in the water too.

I'm feeding and giving water every 2 hours at the moment. Is that about right ? He/she is approx 10 weeks old. I'm feeding pretty small amounts like 3-4 pellets and 4-5 small bits of cat food today. Tomorrow the menu will change to some scrambled egg and yoghurt mix.
    Am I giving enough ?
    The water I'm giving is roughly 1ml perhaps a bit less.

Thanks again x

8. lauras silkies

lauras silkies New Egg

Oct 3, 2013
    I would recommend chick crumb never had to give cat food but if its helping use it. The yolk if a hard boiled egg is good for energy, as long as the water is clean and fresh your doing good :) are you having to force feed or is it feeding at will?

1 person likes this.
  9. Shabana

I had to force feed yesterday and up to the last feed but I've just gone to do her feed now and it ate quite well by itself. I kept trying to pretend to peck like suggested (not a good look lol) and it worked and it did pretty well. It wouldn't drink tho so I gave water with the tylan and a tiny bit of sugar.
    I sit the chick between my legs as its on one leg and it can balance better :) we seem to have a little routine going :)

I really hope so much that the chicks leg will be ok. Fingers and toes all crossed xx

10. lauras silkies

lauras silkies New Egg

Oct 3, 2013
    Try to encourage baby to feed its self leave food near by with small dish of just fresh water not big enough for chick to fall in tho. Also keep moving limbs when handling to prevent muscle loss as this will set it back please keep me updated and good luck to pudding

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by