injured chick...any advice??

oliviad51

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Carolina
I have had an ameracauna hen sitting on about 11 eggs. 8 hatched out and 5 lived. These chicks are about a week old. This morning I went out to check on them and they had all gotten out of their pen and one was smushed in some chicken wire and it looks like it has been stomped on. I fixed the pen and put all the well chicks and the hen back in it.

The chick has two small spots on its wings that may have been from other chicks pecking it. Its right leg is bruised and swollen and it can barely put any weight on it. Right now I have the chick in my house in a clean nesting box with some food and water and a heat lamp is keeping it warm. I really want to try and save it because I just love Ameracaunas. Does anyone know how I can help this chick? It is breathing and peeping fine. It is trying to walk everywhere but it cant. Any help or advice?????????

fl.gif
barnie.gif
hit.gif

Sounds to me like you've done all you can. All thats left is to do is wait! I wouldn't keep handling it from here on. It's very fragile right now and you could do more damage then good.

I would give the chick Polyvisol (NO iron formula) baby vitamin drops - you can find it at Walmart, Target, etc in the vitamin section. It is a liquid. A drop or two in the beak 2x a day. Just be careful and not cause the chick to aspirate on it - I put it on the side of the beak and they seem to "drink" it from there. I had a chick that was stepped on by mother hen, and held her foot up for several days - started vitamins, and about 4 days later - she was up and running - and now 2 weeks later she is one of the biggest .... she is an EE too...

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom