1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured Chick hatched by Broody on Christmas wing is in a bad way Pics.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tjo804, Dec 30, 2015.

1. tjo804

tjo804 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2014
    Cedar Creek, Texas
    Injured Chick
    Doing the feeding and cleaning tonight my Broody hen was acting weird
    I watched for a second as she moved in sinc with a screaching Chick
    It was stuck to her belly I reached up and pulled it off as gently as possible but when I looked at her I found out why she got stuck

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks kind of blistery at the end.
    She can move her wing but seems to just let it hang.
    [​IMG]

Any idea what I can do to help her or what might have caused this?

I cleaned it and sprayed it with blue Kote she is in the brooder with younger chicks for now.

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    The poor little thing.

First, to try to figure out what caused it. Either she got the injury in an accident from her mother or siblings claws or beak, or else her mother had something sticky on her and when the chicks delicate skin got caught on it, it tore. Chicks have very delicate skin, but they can also heal very well.
    If she is letting it hang, she may have broken her wing. If nothing else is injured, keeping the wound clean and making a little brace for it should help it heal. I'm no expert, but I hope this helps.
    I would suggest keeping her with the other chicks permanently unless she heals very quickly, as a weak chick with its mother is likely not to make it (this is personal experience and heart-ache speaking). Make sure she is warm, stress-free, and gets plenty of vitamin-rich food and hydrating water.

I hope she starts feeling better soon!

3. tjo804

Mar 15, 2014
    Cedar Creek, Texas
    Thank you Gitabooks.
    It seems to be fitting in with the Chicks in the brooder I have been adding daily as they hatch and there are only 6 total. I moved them to my bath tub last night. Bigger space I will keep it in with the inside ones.

Just didn't know if this was a common thing, If it might cause permanent damage to the feathering or if it was a bug bite or allergy?????

4. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    I'm not sure if it will cause permanent damage or not, but from what I have seen chickens heal surprisingly well with little scarring.

5. tjo804

Mar 15, 2014
    Cedar Creek, Texas
    Thank you again

Happy New Year

6. tjo804

Mar 15, 2014
    Cedar Creek, Texas
    These are pictures I took today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other wing is healthy

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Google avian wing anatomy and then see if you can detect any fractures. Since she's not holding it correctly, I think I'd consider taping it. On the iPad now so can't post pictures and links from here easily. Chck for fractures, then look at pictures of how you can wrap/splint it.

-Kathy

8. tjo804

Mar 15, 2014
    Cedar Creek, Texas
    [​IMG]
    Thank you I will do that now

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Be gentle, I think the bones of chicks this age are still pretty soft.

-Kathy

10. tjo804

Mar 15, 2014
    Cedar Creek, Texas
    ok
    Should I put something on the sore before I try to wrap it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by