Injured chick! Help!

jodybrook

Chirping
Apr 29, 2017
I have two broodies who have been hatching 8 eggs in a clutch over the course of a few weeks. They were transplanted from a friend's fertilized eggs from her flock. I have a 10 day old, 7 day old, 4 day old and 3 day old. One more was born late yesterday. This morning (because I found leg mites on one of my broody chickens) I cleaned out their bedding. Well I guess the stress of having them in the cleaning pen caused a pecking of the baby and then they all attacked her. By the time I got to her she was pretty bad off. She's 1 day old. I've cleaned the wound with iodine and water solution and put neosporine on it using a qtip. I have her in a cat carrier inside the dark closet with a heating pad until I can get a lamp. I didn't have plans to raise these babes, just let the mamas do it, but will do it just am not set up. I am going to go grab some pick no more (purple stuff) but how long can she be out of the flock before they won't allow her back in? Is it too late? If so what do I need to do to keep this chick safe and when do And how do I introduce her? She has had water and I gave her a little slurry of chick starter mixed with water. She drank a little of it. Doesn't appear to be in shock, still chirping and standing. It's almost like they scalped her. I'm not seeing any major puncture but her "scalp" keeps receding as he skin dries out.
1f61e.png
1f61e.png

Last edited:
Poor baby! I hope she's doing ok. I had a hatch where they all drowned except for one, and we ended up having to keep that one inside with us for a few weeks. What we did to reintroduce her, was to get some younger chicks, and keep her and the new babies separate from the big ones for a while. They ended up bonding and she became like a big sister to them all. They were 2 months apart in age. Once the youngest babies were old enough to run and hide, or defend themselves, we let them in with the other flock and they had their own little sub-flock. It was very cool.

Also, be ready to have a new best friend! Our chick would run over and sit in my lap when gardening.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for replying! I have had the worst day/night worrying about this lil babe.
We treated her and are letting her gain her strength. She has gladly taken a slurry of water and feed and has pooped and we can tell she is gaining strength. I have one that is one day older than her and I'm wondering if we should put them together after a day or two of her getting stronger. It will be about another week before we have new babies that we can put in with her. How long was your baby alone before you put the babies with her?

Poor baby! I hope she's doing ok. I had a hatch where they all drowned except for one, and we ended up having to keep that one inside with us for a few weeks. What we did to reintroduce her, was to get some younger chicks, and keep  her and the new babies separate from the big ones for a while. They ended up bonding and she became like a big sister to them all. They were 2 months apart in age. Once the youngest babies were old enough to run and hide, or defend themselves, we let them in with the other flock and they had their own little sub-flock. It was very cool. 

Also, be ready to have a new best friend! Our chick would run over and sit in my lap when gardening. 

Thank you so much for replying! I have had the worst day/night worrying about this lil babe.
We treated her and are letting her gain her strength. She has gladly taken a slurry of water and feed and has pooped and we can tell she is gaining strength. I have one that is one day older than her and I'm wondering if we should put them together after a day or two of her getting stronger. It will be about another week before we have new babies that we can put in with her. How long was your baby alone before you put the babies with her?

Back
Top Bottom