1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured chick--keep separate?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hottchick, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    So I had posted earlier today that my about 6 week old chick was pecked (I assume--found her in the coop this morning and it was predator proof) until she was bleeding on her head and her wing. I ran to Tractor Supply and have applied Blue Kote to the wounds. She is eating and drinking fine. Everything seems fine with her. She is in a box on my dining room table for the day. I have separated my 3 3 month old Leghorns that must have done this to her from all of the little ones.

My question is--do I need to keep her separated from her age mates? She was very upset when I moved her out. Will the blue kote keep them from pecking her? Or should I just keep her separated for a little while? How much separation will cause problems when I reintroduce her to the flock?

Thanks for any advice.

2. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I would try putting her back with her age mates, and watch what happens. The blu-kote will probably prevent further pecking. If they start pecking her, take her out again. You may have to wait until they're the same size as the leghorns to mix the two flocks.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I agree. I'd keep the mean leghorns out for a week or so, though. This should lower them in the pecking order.

4. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    I might try putting her back with them this afternoon. They weren't pecking at her that I could see when she was bleeding. The Leghorns will stay separate until they're closer in size. It seemed like things were going well until--well, until it wasn't! I've made an area for the little ones in the coop but separated by a wire wall. Now, I've made a run within the run for them too. They can see each other but not hurt each other. I'll keep it that way until they catch up. Of course the Brahmas I understand are slow growers......

5. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:That sounds like a good arrangement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by