Injured chick, large fluid sac near crop

DutchEggs

Songster
9 Years
May 29, 2014
Michigan
Hi All,
I have a two week old chick who may have been injured today. She has a large fluid filled sac near her crop. This sack is much larger than her crop ought to be.
Initially I believed she had some subcutaneous air trapped, perhaps from a punctured lung or leaky air sac. I sterilized the area and aspirated with an 18 gauge needle. When I pulled back the plunger on my syringe I noticed a thick, clear fluid filling it up.
I’m not sure how to proceed. The fluid is too thick to be pericardial fluid, and I’m not sure what the substance in the crop would look like if aspirated with a syringe.
Little chick is lethargic and has runny pale/yellow poo.
Does anyone have any clue what may be going on?

I did not see her get injured but did catch one of my small children trying to sneak a hasty snuggle, and I’m suspicious that she may have not been handled gently.

Pic included of the gal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 056D0289-8F66-49C3-B3C6-376144C9BBE6.jpeg
    056D0289-8F66-49C3-B3C6-376144C9BBE6.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 44
Sorry about your chick. It sounds like you might be aspirating crop contents, but I haven’t seen this before. I would have also suspected a leaking air sac as well. Have you tried again next to the crop? How far under the skin did you stick the needle? Does she seem to be having trouble breathing. I would try to give some fluids and Poultry NutriDrench 2 drops. She might have an impacted crop or possible an infection. A vet might be more helpful.

Sorry about your chick. It sounds like you might be aspirating crop contents, but I haven’t seen this before. I would have also suspected a leaking air sac as well. Have you tried again next to the crop? How far under the skin did you stick the needle? Does she seem to be having trouble breathing. I would try to give some fluids and Poultry NutriDrench 2 drops. She might have an impacted crop or possible an infection. A vet might be more helpful.
Thank you for the reply.
She passed later that night. I thought that she probably would, but was hoping to make her more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom