Injured chick, Please help!

Llillyfnp

Chirping
Apr 11, 2020
Bigger chicks pecked this one (picture enclosed) I've bathed her with warm soapy water, letting go her chill snuggled in a warm towel, and got stuff from TSC (pic enclosed) to put on her. Will she survive or should we cull her?! My uncle (a chicken farmer) says to cull her but I dont have the heart

Attachments

• 20210612_141911.jpg
    20210612_141911.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210612_141928.jpg
    20210612_141928.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 6
Hello, so sorry for your bird, how is she doing, ie alert, moving around
She moves around a little, will stand some and appears drowsy. Im figuring concussion? Looks like there is some ear involvement that I noticed when putting Hen Healer on her. Thank you for replying btw ♡

She moves around a little, will stand some and appears drowsy. Im figuring concussion? Looks like there is some ear involvement that I noticed when putting Hen Healer on her. Thank you for replying btw ♡
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive I don’t want to give you any wrong information, if she seems to be in pain without a chance of recovery than culling is always better than keeping her in pain. For now try to keep the wound clean and dry, also can we get more pictures of the wound? I sincerely hope she makes it, but again, wound care is not my forte.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive I don’t want to give you any wrong information, if she seems to be in pain without a chance of recovery than culling is always better than keeping her in pain. For now try to keep the wound clean and dry, also can we get more pictures of the wound? I sincerely hope she makes it, but again, wound care is not my forte.
This is her currently. Shes asleep in a cat carrier until I can get the little kennel from my mother in law. She is almost 7 weeks old. There are 1 year old chickens and maybe 14 week old chicks in the bigger coop. The 2 white leghorns were introduced over the weekend

Attachments

• 20210612_153031.jpg
    20210612_153031.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 6
Poor baby! I'm always on the side of do what you can and give her a chance, so I won't suggest culling her (but I have nothing against those who choose to do so). Sometimes they can come around and just need a little TLC. Good luck!
I dont have the heart to immediate cull. My plan is to watch her for a few days, keep the wound cleaned and medicated and will redress possible culling then depending on behavior/wound progression. She will be separated from all of the others

Sweet baby! If her head and neck hurt too much to eat, you could try using an eyedropper or syringe to feed her soft food (scrambled egg/mashed up hardboiled egg) or some of her food with water mixed in. You could also give her NutriDrench until she is well enough to start eating on her own. Still hoping she makes it!

Back
Top Bottom