Injured chick please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tammys kevin, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Tammys kevin

Tammys kevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2012
    My week old silkie got pecked by a bully hen, the vet is closed for the day, what can I do???

2. Tammys kevin

Jul 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

3. ukuleledave

ukuleledave Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Mayberry, NC
    Keep her away from the others. Chickens will keep pecking at the sight of blood. You can get antibiotics tomorrow. Chances are she'll be fine.

4. thechooks22

thechooks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Bettadine and antibiotic powder...worked for my hen when she was battacked by a englich bull terrier
    Goodluck

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Keep her isolated, as chicks will peck at the wound otherwise. If you have it, or can get some, spray the wound with BluKote, which helps deter other chicks from the wound and heal the wound. Some antibiotic ointment (as long as it doesn't end in "caine") wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

6. Tammys kevin

Jul 25, 2012
    I dabbed at the wound with warm salty water, it was all I had, but I can't do it for long as the chick hates it, it freaks out and goes limp with its eyes closed. I have antibiotic powder leftover from when a roo had an eye infection, I assume that will work too? She survived the night and even had a drink of water, so I'm hopeful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by