Injured chick - questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SpeckledPullet, Jun 27, 2011.

1. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    I have a 2 day old chick who was pecked by the broody. He has a small wound on his head and his eyes are swollen. I brought him inside under a heat lamp. My questions are:

1.) Do I put any ointment on the wound or leave it alone?

2.) How often do I need to make sure he drinks and stays hydrated?

3.) If he survives, when can I put him back in with the hen and other chicks?

Thanks

2. Steph Martin

Steph Martin Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Hi. Sorry about your situation. I had 12 chicks and all but 1 was killed by a coon. This little guy either had a broken or badly sprained leg and couldn't put weight on it. I didn't know what to do so I put him back under the heat lamp as I figured he/she was probably in shock and would need to keep warm. I didn't splint the leg or do anything other then keep the food and drink close so he/she wouldn't have to move to get it. This all happened when the chick was 8 weeks old and I've had to keep it separated from my other ones (three to four weeks since). Maybe dip the chicks beak every once in a while to make sure he knows how to drink. Don't put him back in with the others as it will probably happen again...make him a lap chicken as mine has turned out to be.Good luck.

3. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Thanks! So far, I am dipping his beak into the water about once every hour or two. I haven't seen him eat at all yet. That has me a bit worried, too. He also doesn't move around much, but I guess I wouldn't either if my eyes were shut [​IMG] He can open one eye a bit, but he chooses not to most of the time. The other eye (the side with the wound) won't open at all. I suppose this is a lost cause [​IMG]

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Aw, poor little guy.

You are doing well so far, especially with making sure he gets water. I don't believe you'll ever be able to put him back in with the others if he recovers. They'll forget him by then and most likely the hen will reject him even more. It is possible that the chick has some sort of birth or genetic defect that the hen could sense. Hens DO single out and kill chicks like that.

Then again, he could be a little fighter! I'd use an eyedropper and tyr feeding him some water-down mash (chick crumbles + water = mash). You could also put some sugar in the waterbowl he's using, that will perk him up too. If his head is swollen still, I'd give him some baby aspring disolved in his water too. That way the swelling will reduce.

You may want to wash off the wound, and put Neosporen on it to make sure an infection doesn't start too.

Good luck, you're doing all the right things!

5. massagechick

massagechick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Sounds like you are doing ok with him. I would also use the electrolite water(smart water) with sugar in it to help him out, and the eye dropper with liquid mash is a good idea. If his eye is all crusty you might want to clean it so it doesnt heal shut.

6. mrs r bueno

mrs r bueno New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    hi one of our hens had baby chicks and she shares the nest with another hen. unfortunately, the other hen pecked at all the eggs that made a sound and injured all of them even while they were still in the egg. 3 of 5 babies died and 2 remain. the hen was taken out immediately. 1 of the 2 babies that survived this ordeal has lost half of its upper beak and is trying its best to eat. will its beak ever grow back?

7. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    Quote:yes the beake may grow back

8. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Well, he seems much more perky tonight. His eyes are less swollen (the good eye is compltely open and the bad eye is open a hair). He's moving around more and making more noise. I think the chick mash has helped a lot [​IMG]

Mrs R - I hope your little chick's beak grows back.

9. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    He is still alive! Anyone know at what point I should quit using the mash and expect him to eat on his own? I have food and wanter with him, but have yet to see him eat or drink on his own. I am giving him mash and water every few hours.

Here he is as of 8pm tonight with his new mother (a stuffed dog).
    [​IMG]

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yay I'm glad he made it! I'd keep feeding it until it shows interest in eating on it's own. You can tempt him with chick crumbles, yogurt, and any favorite treats. Keep it up, he looks like he's almost recovered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by