Injured chick wing! What to do?

chickenstien

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Texas
Hi there. I am new to this site and new to having chickens. I recently bought 5 chicks for my wife and built a small coop/ run for the chicks that are about 2 months old. We let them out of the box to get familiar with outside. I felt bad keeping them in a box for so long and felt they needed a place to run around in that was protected with chicken wire. It's 8x8 by 4ft tall completely wrapped in chicken wire sides and top. Before i put the top on it one of the chicks went missing and there was some blood as evidence it didn't just fly out. Tonight as I finished working on my car I went to check on them and 2 were dead. Ones head is gone and the others neck is broken with blood. I grabbed the nearest one and looked for the other which was hiding in the dog house shelter I have (rigged up with a warming light and a place for them to be off the ground inside). He was hesitant to come towards me and I coach it to me. It's wing is torn open at the top where it connects to the body (and flaps its wing). It's not happy with me when I try to pick it up and I'm not sure if I should be forceful handling it for fear I may further damage the wing. I'm not sure what creature is responsible or exactly how I should go about caring for this poor fella. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! We have had great success until we tried giving them freedom outdoors in their new home.

Back
Top Bottom