Injured chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Noobi2411, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Noobi2411

Noobi2411 Just Hatched

Jun 17, 2016
    2 days ago my chick was held by my cat in its mouth and we stopped the bleeding and it has been eating and drinking slowly, it seems a little lethargic and has a swollen eye and left side also it's right eye is closed. What to do

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Give it some time. Injuries can take awhile to heal. Internal injuries can be present without symptoms, except for not wanting to eat. Liquids are most important, so electrolytes or SaveAChick may be add to the water. Chooped egg and tuna can be good to tempt them to eat some extra protwin. A quiet cage or crate, and some vitists to keep a pressence in the flock may help. What are the droppings looking like? The swelling in theeyes should go down, but if there is pus or crusty drainage, Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment may help if 1/8 th inch is applied to the eye twice a day.

3. Noobi2411

Noobi2411 Just Hatched

Jun 17, 2016
    I haven't seen her eat, only when I force feed her but she does deink

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When I want to get a chicken to eat I take some chicken feed, add water and plain yogurt for probiotics, then a raw egg, and mix well. They seem to like mushy food, and the more water, the more fluid she will take.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by