Injured chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brooklynlove, Mar 11, 2017.

1. brooklynlove

brooklynlove New Egg

Mar 11, 2017
    I went to check on the chicks who are about 12 days old and they were all ganging up on one chick. She was bleeding by the tail and a spot on her face. I have her separated in a small dog kennel inside the brooder so she can still see the other chicks. She seemed ok in there all day but now she is being very vocal. Do you think she's just upset that she can't be with everyone else? Or could there be something else wrong?

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Is she eating and drinking?

It's possible she's protesting by being caged, but if she was fine in there for a good while and is now peeping loudly something could be wrong. Being ganged up on by a group of chicks in itself is an indication something may be wrong with her.

Check the temps to see if she is getting too hot or cold - her actions will tell you a lot. Huddling-too cold. Panting with wings out- too warm.

Look at her bum to see if the vent is clear and not pasted over.

Keep us posted.

1 person likes this.
  4. brooklynlove

brooklynlove New Egg

Mar 11, 2017
    Thanks for the link! I picked up some of the Vetericyn for the wound on her tail and it is starting to look better.
    I think she was just upset that she was separated as she is acting fine now. When she is all healed, how should I let her back in with the rest of them? Just open the door and let her go?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by