Injured chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tracyork, May 19, 2017.

1. tracyork

tracyork Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    Tillamook, Oregon
    I have a 2 week old salmon faverolle that is not doing well. Of course i went out of my way to acquire this one. Seems like your favorites are always the first to go... Anyway, she has always been a little bit smaller than the others, sleeps more, huddles under the light, etc. I have been coming to terms with the fact that it may be a failure to thrive situation, but yesterday when i picked her up i found that one leg is swollen at the knee. She isn't putting weight on that leg and that is contributing to her reduced movement and food consumption. I suspect that this underlying issue has been present the whole time but has gotten worse and more obvious. I don't know if it is an injury or an infection. I would be willing to try separating and dosing with an antibiotic but don't know where to begin on that. It may be too late but i thought someone here might have an idea. thanks,

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @tracyork

Sorry to have missed your post. How is your chick doing?

Swelling at the knee could be from injury, slipped tendon or possibly an illness like Mycoplasma Synoviae.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by