Injured Chick

SchafersmanFarmin

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2017
I have a chick who seems to be the oddity of my 10 little chicks...We started noticing odd behavior earlier this week when one began hiding like an ostrich every time it suddenly was startled by basic things in our chick brood box...This morning I discovered the same chick is pecking at a spot on its own side and looks like it might be a sore or bleeding...any suggestions..not sure of what to do..

Hi @SchafersmanFarmin :frow Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of your chick and the wound?
How much space is in your brooder?

General wound care would be to wash the wound or flush with saline. Apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn. If your chick is staying with the others, it would also be a good idea to cover the wound with Blu Kote or separate the chick to keep the others from pecking at the wound. Depending on how your brooder is made, you can place a chicken wire divider to separate your chick so she can still be near the others.

Determining the cause of the wound is a good idea - is it a plucked feather from the others, a cut from something sharp in the brooder, etc.

Keep the chick warm and see that she is drinking well and eating her chick starter.
Let us know how she' doing.

Back
Top Bottom