Injured chick

Pullet5

Chirping
May 31, 2018
uk
Hoping someone can help.Chicks are 2 weeks old and today i noticed this on one of them.Cant make out if its an injury or a problem.Chicks are in with rest of the flock to roost but spend all the day with mum in an adjoining area seperated by mesh.From what ive seen, the rest of the flock including daddy roo tolerate them well and ive seen no mallicious behavior. Thanks in advance
IMG_0636 (1).JPG

There was a small drop of blood on it. Im new to all this so thank you so much for your help.This site has been invaluable to me.They are our School chickens,i have just taken over caring for them. I shall have a closer look tomorrow.What is best to bathe it,if at all?

You may have a feather-picker in the group - I just got done dealing with that issue myself. I recommend Rooster Booster's Pick-No-More lotion ($10 at Tractor Supply) as it worked like a breeze for me. When young chickens are getting their feathers in the blood feathers are very attractive to other chicks for plucking.

Smells terrible (strong medicinal smell) and it leaves a dark purple stain on stuff if you're not careful, but it will help the injury heal, will camouflage any blood, and will also discourage the other chickens from continuing to peck at the wound and cannibalize the chick. Plus if you don't discourage cannibalistic pecking in one individual, that behavior can spread to other birds as well.

Back
Top Bottom