Injured chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Taylettice, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Taylettice

Taylettice In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2018
    I have a week old silkie chick. I just went upstairs to check on them to discover the rack I had across the brooder box had fallen inside the box and had pinned down a chick. It's not very heavy and did not fall from very far( it was across the top of the diaper box I used as a brooder) it's been a couple of hours since I found the chick but she has been chirping alot and I even here a constant clicking sound coming from her when I put my ear up to her body. She also will not put any weight on one leg. I cant tell if there is any damage to the leg because I this is my first year with chickens. Is there anything I should be checking for.

Attached Files:

Saaniya likes this.
  2. EIEIO_farm

EIEIO_farm Chirping

Jun 3, 2018
    Is she eating and drinking?
    Baby chicks are constantly hungry so I would be alarmed if she isn’t interested in food or water. But if she’s still eating fine, she’s probably ok!
    You can try to cheer her up with a crumbled hard boiled egg. My chicks go nuts when I spoil them with one! It’s good for them too, just not every day.

Saaniya likes this.
  3. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    Delhi

Hi ,
    Oh that's not good
    Chicks sometimes play fun with each other jump.and fall and get injured

Gently feel if she broke her leg
    @staceyj will def help u knowing

I will separate her and give her calm warm place where she can sit

A broken leg may look crooked and swollen, and the bird won't walk on it. Broken legs can be splinted, but it's best to let a vet or someone experienced in bird rehabilitation do this. In a young bird, the bones heal quickly. Once again, you should separate the bird from your flock until it has healed..
    In either case, if a bone is protruding through the skin, infection is extremely likely, and the chances of the bird making it are poor

Check it if she's able to walking but not properly i.dont think she broke her leg completely maybe just an injury
    Give her some boiled egg which helps healing fast
    Do u have some multivitamin ?

4. OldEnglishGameBantam33

OldEnglishGameBantam33 Songster

Oct 15, 2018
    San deigo CA
    It doesn't encourage egg eating either.:D

5. How is she doing now? I suspect she is sore and favoring the leg. I would give her a couple days and see how she does. She has heat in the brooder, right?

6. EIEIO_farm

EIEIO_farm Chirping

Jun 3, 2018
    Not sure what you’re talking about but giving baby chicks egg is actually very beneficial, just not in large quantities. It’s the perfect protein for them, which is why a baby chick absorbs the yolk before hatching.

7. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Songster

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    If she's not bearing weight by tomorrow, see if you can find a vet to look at her.

I found a poor little feed store chick who'd been injured, untreated, and unfortunately couldn't be helped because it "healed" itself in such a way that she couldn't use it- the hock joint was 'frozen' and the leg was rotated, stuck bent up and out. An injury that might have been treatable had it been addressed soon after it happened turned into a sad end to a beautiful chick.

P1260782.JPG

Attached Files:

8. Taylettice

Taylettice In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2018
    She is putting some weight on the sore leg now. It looks like the leg goes out to the side a bit when shes laying down.but I'm not sure if she is just holding it out that way to avoid putting weight on it. There was alot of chirping from her last night but shes quieter now. She stays under the light but will get up to eat and drink.

Shezadandy likes this.
  9. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: