Injured Chick

Rammy

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Tennessee
I had a few broody bantam hens who were hatching out some eggs. All the eggs were from the OEG hen, so the chicks that hatched had the chipmunk pattern on them.
I tried putting three incubator hatched chicks in with them to raise between the three hens. One chick looked like the chipmunks, the other two were black like BR chicks.
When I came home, I found one in the water bucket nearly drowned. The other was under the coop hiding and looked like this.

20200706_125802.jpg

20200706_125806.jpg

20200706_125811.jpg

Is there anything I can do for this chick? Both eyes are swollen shut. I think it still has eyes. Should I put an antibiotic cream on its head? Put it down?
The other chick is warming up and hopefully will be ok. Time will tell.
I thought if I put chicks under the hens while the eggs were hatching they would accept them but since two of them werent marked like the others they got attacked.
Thanks for your help.

Yes, you can use plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment. Apply 2 -3 times a day as needed to keep it covered and moist with the ointment, until it's well scabbed over. With time it will heal up and be OK. Make sure it's eating and drinking and can't be further injured by others. If it can't see due to swelling you may have to help it to eat and drink until it can do it on it's own. Adding chicks to a broody is always risky and supervision should be done to make sure it's going to work. Sometimes it works if you put them under her at night when everyone is sleeping. But sometimes they just won't accept one that wasn't theirs.

Yes, you can use plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment. Apply 2 -3 times a day as needed to keep it covered and moist with the ointment, until it's well scabbed over. With time it will heal up and be OK. Make sure it's eating and drinking and can't be further injured by others. If it can't see due to swelling you may have to help it to eat and drink until it can do it on it's own. Adding chicks to a broody is always risky and supervision should be done to make sure it's going to work. Sometimes it works if you put them under her at night when everyone is sleeping. But sometimes they just won't accept one that wasn't theirs.
I have some triple antiobiotic cream with pain reliever in it. I'll use that for now. The nearly drowned chick is up and acting normal so far. I hope it doesnt develop pnuemonia. I can keep them together in the house in a tote I use until they recover fully. I sure hope they do. Ive put chicks under broodies before and this has never happened. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom