ShawnaLeigh

In the Brooder
May 21, 2019
A chick was caught in some chicken wire today while I was gone so not sure how long she was there. Her scalp/brain is exposed and was dry and not sure if her eyes have been pecked on or just swollen. I have her in the house and gave her water and put Vetermiticin? Not sure of spelling and blue kite on her neck. She was not moving when I picked her out of the wire but she did take water from syringe and is standing and is chirping faintly. She is about 4-5 weeks old. Momma was still standing at wire fence when I went back out there to tear it down. She was looking for her. Am I doing all I can? She looks like an alien.

coach723

Free Ranging
5 Years
Feb 12, 2015
North Florida
Definitely need pictures. Flush the wound and apply plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment to cover it. If she is just scalped then healing is possible. I've had chicks with head injuries before from getting in with the big birds too soon, they do fine if it's superficial and no infection sets in. It often looks worse than it is, but pictures will help. You will need to check the eyes once she's calmed down some, hopefully they are Ok. Make sure she's warm and drinking plenty of fluids.

ShawnaLeigh

In the Brooder
May 21, 2019
Definitely need pictures. Flush the wound and apply plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment to cover it. If she is just scalped then healing is possible. I've had chicks with head injuries before from getting in with the big birds too soon, they do fine if it's superficial and no infection sets in. It often looks worse than it is, but pictures will help. You will need to check the eyes once she's calmed down some, hopefully they are Ok. Make sure she's warm and drinking plenty of fluids.
here are a couple of pics. She is moving some and I am trying to give her water by syringe. She is not drinking on her own.

Attachments

ShawnaLeigh

In the Brooder
May 21, 2019
It looks as though she had been thrashing in the wire to get out. Not sure if she has internal issues. She pooped yesterday and I didn’t see blood. She hasn’t eaten since. She is chirping some.

LaFemmeKatia

Songster
Premium Feather Member
May 14, 2020
South Carolina
From your pictures it looks like she has eyes, they are just badly bruised.
Clean her up and put antibiotic ointment on her wounds, and give her water with vitamins and electrolytes.
You may want to give her a broad spectrum antibiotic as a precaution to prevent infection.
Keep her warm and dry, by herself, and wait.

coach723

Free Ranging
5 Years
Feb 12, 2015
North Florida
Something like amoxicillin would be easiest for a chick this small. You can get it as fish mox, some TSC's carry it, but not all. You might need to get it online.
https://fishmoxfishflex.com/collections/amoxicillin-fish-antibiotics
I would use the neosporin all over the wounded areas 2-3 times a day, keep it covered in ointment and moist. It looks like facial skin is gone also and maybe the eyelids(?) so I would get some veterycin eye gel and use that several times a day also, to make sure the eye is staying moist.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...h1heZzQUBOABcHV2pmBf0WfJKaBXJvghoCyVwQAvD_BwE
I would watch to see if she's able to blink at all. Does the other eye look the same?
If any infection in the eye looks like it develops then you can use the same plain neosporin or terramycin eye ointment, which most TSC's carry also.
You will need to make sure she gets enough feed and especially fluids. See if she will drink if you put it right in front of her, or dip her beak. You may be able to use a spoon to hold some in front of her. And watch to see if you think she's able to see, or not. If she reacts to movement and light.
Terramycin-800px.jpg

ShawnaLeigh

In the Brooder
May 21, 2019
I put a spoon of water in front of her and she drank from it. She will not eat yet. I scrambled some eggs but she won’t eat that or feed. I am going to go to TS after my daughter picks up grandkids today. I brought chick with me to doctor while I’m here. The other eye has a lid and it severely swollen so I’m thinking the eye you are seeing may not have a lid and she is not blinking. Thanks for everyone’s help on this. I have never had this happen. This spring was my first mama/chick hatchings.

Top Bottom