Injured chick.

Cara83

Songster
Sep 9, 2021
My chicks where outside in the big house for a few hours today, its summer here. I went to move the tractor whilst they where inside and the wheels went from under it and something happened to my Ancona chick she is 6 weeks old. There is no visible damage or swelling yet she is clearly injured and not weight bearing on one leg, she is eating and drinking and I'm keeping her quiet in the brooder. I'm so upset and I don't know what else I can do? Please don't suggest a vet for a $6 chick it's not a option. I'm praying for her 😌

I will attach a document on treating fractures, it explains how to examine for one, lots of good information in case needed. It may just be a strain or sprain, and those can take some time to heal. Make sure she's eating and drinking normally, and watch droppings to see that they're normal. You don't want her to get dehydrated. Depending on how mobile she is, you may have to crate her to prevent further injury by the others. You can also try a chicken sling if she's not able to stay upright, I will attach some pictures of types. You can also use rolled up towels to prop her up if needed and she doesn't tolerate a sling. With a sling you need to supervise, to prevent injury if they freak out about it.
0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b--broken-leg-recovery.jpg

5d900e5646be3ce5eb1e6f1645a6ed14.jpg

e0342c9d342cb3f8f72cf353724e56d4.jpg

sling.jpg

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
I will attach a document on treating fractures, it explains how to examine for one, lots of good information in case needed. It may just be a strain or sprain, and those can take some time to heal. Make sure she's eating and drinking normally, and watch droppings to see that they're normal. You don't want her to get dehydrated. Depending on how mobile she is, you may have to crate her to prevent further injury by the others. You can also try a chicken sling if she's not able to stay upright, I will attach some pictures of types. You can also use rolled up towels to prop her up if needed and she doesn't tolerate a sling. With a sling you need to supervise, to prevent injury if they freak out about it.
View attachment 2856064
View attachment 2856065
View attachment 2856066
View attachment 2856067
Thank you, she is like the last chick. I have to go to work 😞 so I will try splint her leg before then. She is eating and drinking water.

Back
Top Bottom